No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: White Bird -- Glass or Ceramic?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: White Bird -- Glass or Ceramic?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:41:55 PM »
I forgot to mention that the other ashtray bird had the joint in the neck like mine does. The one in the eBay link I provided looks like it does, but it is difficult to see it with the casing.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 08:24:03 AM »
Surely it's glass Anita?  I think it is lovely but I think it would be even more lovely and aesthetically pleasing without the neck join!  I would imagine that if it were ceramic, even if initially made in sections, it would be smoothed over and 'integrated' at assembly.  Everything else seems carefully and finely modelled except for this join which suggests perhaps that it couldn't be done for technical reasons rather than the artist was being lazy or sloppy - therefore I vote for glass!

Veronica

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »
If it were ceramic, you'd expect some points where the glaze didn't cover. Glaze is applied as a liquid, which then melts on a second firing of the piece. The usual practice these days is to leave bare the section of the base that sits on the kiln shelf, so the matt, slightly rougher surface of the ceramic shows through. An older practice involved coating the entire piece in glaze, but using some sort of stand, which was snapped off after firing, leaving characteristic marks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 04:04:07 PM »
I do believe it is glass, just a form I am not used to. I handle European glass mainly. This bird is probably a different consistency. After checking as much as I can on Mexican birds, I feel almost certain it is what I am looking at -- either that or a copy of a Mexican bird. I haven't seen any other country that has a neck joint like this. I haven't found company names on any of the pieces I've seen, so I think the best we can do until more information comes in is say it's probably a very nice Mexican glass bird. And remind myself to be careful when buying things online. I think I seriously overpaid, expecting Italian glass.  :-[ At least it is pretty.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand