No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight? Signed JAS '93  (Read 977 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Isle of Wight? Signed JAS '93
« on: July 10, 2010, 02:37:59 PM »
Stands just 3" high - deep amethyst and gold cased in clear. Sharp broken off pontil mark.
Sig could be JAS '93.

Any thoughts? Cheers

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Isle of Wight? Signed JAS '93
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »
I think it very highly unlikely to be Isle of Wight.
It's far too thick, it has only gold foil in it, while most Azurene has both silver and gold. Also Azurene is only now being made in purple glass, it certainly wasn't in '93.

I'm only saying very highly unlikely, because glassmakers there do make things on their own (ie. not standard ranges) which are sold from a special shelf kept for these pieces in the shop. 
It is concievable that this came from that source - but I still think it very, very unlikely.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Weebeeglass

• Members
    • http://www.artiusglass.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:15:16 PM »
Hi All,
Not only Highly unlikely but almost Certainly.
All items ,made for the glass makers shelf would still be finished in a standard IoW flat polished base. No exceptions as anything of this standard would not even be allowed within spitting distance of the shop let alone the shelf.
In Mikes time (and this may be - just) he would have simply picked it up and dropped it in front of the glass maker as a reflection of the standards he would expect. JAS also does not come to mind of any of the glass makers I am aware of but could be wrong here. Nonetheless the first point would make that irrelevant.
Hope that puts this to bed !!

Ron

Offline Weebeeglass

• Members
    • http://www.artiusglass.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:19:26 PM »
Ah yes, one other point Sue
Azurene comes in Black (still the best seller), Blue (not Azure now. Changed due to exclusive colour made in Azure for the cruise ship 'Azura')  and Purple.
Check out on the website www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk

Ron

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
Hi, Start again, I purchased this item today described as IoW glass, knowing nothing about it I posted a photo on here asking advice. I put IoW ? in the title for this reason only. Pretty sure from Sue's answer it's not. (thanks Sue). Think we can safely say what it's not then ;D
Just a thought, did items not go 'out the back door' unfinished? at most glassworks? certainly had Whitefriars with sharp unfinished pontil marks.
Chris

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
Hi Chris,
I'm not 100% sure but this could be Jason Svendsen. See http://www.jasglass.com/ . It says on his web-site he's been working with glass for 19 years so it's a possibility.
Maybe worthwhile sending him an e-mail.
robbo
robbo

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
 :thup:
That looks like it to me, Robbo - well sleuthed!

Ron, I'm sorry, I can't agree with you about this being of a "poor standard". Perhaps the rim has a problem, but in general, I'd reckon this is a particular style.

I love lumpy and wonky - that's the raw appeal of so much early Michael Harris work.
Artistic lumpy and wonky is a completely different thing to sloppiness or poor craftsmanship.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »
I have to agree with you there Sue, like the style, lovely shape. I just can't stand gold leaf.... :-X

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »
 ;D

As you know, I'm with you on that John - I like silver and gold together, or silver alone, but there is an historic precidence for gold and purple being an indicator of royalty - rich at least, (whether tasteful or not is another matter  >:D and probably personal)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:11:41 PM »
:thup:
That looks like it to me, Robbo - well sleuthed!

Ron, I'm sorry, I can't agree with you about this being of a "poor standard". Perhaps the rim has a problem, but in general, I'd reckon this is a particular style.

I love lumpy and wonky - that's the raw appeal of so much early Michael Harris work.
Artistic lumpy and wonky is a completely different thing to sloppiness or poor craftsmanship.
Ron you actually made me feel like you were talking to someone who had listed it on ebay with a dubious description.
Agree Sue, whatever it is it's a quirky little vase, when the lady at the antique centre took it out she commented how nice it was and would have bought herself had she seen it, sure somebody will love it for what it is.
Thanks Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand