No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight 1980's paperweight - which range?  (Read 5173 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Isle of Wight 1980's paperweight - which range?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »
There are several oddities known in the Meadow Garden range.
I've got a vase which doesn't fit any particular set colour scheme - green background, green, olive deeep blue and opaque bluey-lilac spots, green and olive stripes.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
I agree, Sue. With Meadow Garden IOWSG seemed, at times, to make it up as they went along! And why not; if it looks good then go with it. But it does confuse us collectors no end  :spls:

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 01:28:19 PM »
Depends if you collect "ranges" or just what you like.
Personally, I'm not remotely bothered about putting things in little pigeonholes like this.  :sm:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »
I'm cool with that!  :thup: I too have some wonderful IOW things that can't be pigeonholed. I bought two bits this week as a matter of fact that has got me scratching my head  :rah:
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
That conjures up an image of broken bits and you scratching your head with them, Anton - I hope that's not the case and that they're lovely and exciting.
I generally find there's some range which something could be an experimental part of which helps to put it in some sort of date-line, albeit with a few question marks.
It's not fair to restrict artists into pigeonholes. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 12:45:01 AM »
Hi All

I have just received the following reply from Ron at Artius Glass - which confirms the views that this weight doesn't belong to any particular range, and is probably a trial piece.

<<Hello Jackie,
Apologies for delay,
Now Very nice weight but not identifiable as part of any range except for it's similarities to the construction of Kyoto. However the orange is a bit of an anomaly.
So I would guess made during the same period as a trial or just an oddity which would have been sold through the shop at the Studio.
No later than 1989/90 though as this was when the triangle sticker was discontinued. To have the many hundreds of colours shapes and designs made over almost 4 decades would have needed a book as big as an Encyclopedia Britannica for images alone so there are limits!

All colours and canes are added to the hot glass and then worked in to the surface hence being able to feel them - some more than others naturally.
Sorry I can't be of further help. Value at around £35 - £40.00 at a guess. A nice little item.>>

Thanks to Ron for his assistance once again.

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand