No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mid 19th century opaline vase with ruffled rim & blue pineapple knop?  (Read 2864 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Re: Mid 19th century opaline vase with ruffled rim & blue pineapple knop?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2024, 08:37:18 PM »
  Another molded version. Most where done as the previous ones pictured so far. This is the only short version I have ever seen.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2024, 08:59:07 PM »
Cagney, maybe Saint-Louis?  Scroll down on this link and you'll see a shelf of green and white. Second from left top shelf has spiky bobbles.  I can't find a better photograph right now but last night I enlarged the pic a little better and the bobbles are spiky/pointed if I am seeing it correctly.  The rim looks different to yours admittedly but I think the bobbles could be the same. Also green and white as you'll see:

https://www.mv-bracelet.com/cristallerie/cristal-saint-louis/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2024, 12:25:21 AM »
  Yes, the pattern is the mitered diamond or sawtooth. Nice to see the French version of these vases. As I would suspect the French version a bit more ornate/refined.

Loved your photos taken in natural light on your thread of creamer/jug.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2024, 01:37:19 AM »

Cagney thank you re the jug/creamer photographs  :)

Is your smaller vase Sandwich then?  Do you know roughly what period please?
It is very interesting to compare to the one in the link to the Saint-Louis version.  I wish the photograph was clearer so the detail could be seen but unfortunately I've not found another picture at all of the green cabinet.

there is an interesting discussion in Pressglas-Korrespondenz regarding French and Sandwich designs:

https://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2013-1w-boston-inkwell-1878-baccarat-1870.pdf

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2024, 08:32:29 AM »
   This pattern is actually pictured in Barlow/Kaisers last installment of their "A GUIDE TO SANDWICH GLASS" Cut Ware, A General Assortment And Bottles. It is the same color combination and form as the vase in the start of this thread, except the top rim is folded and gauffered instead of being clamped to produce the top rim design. Dates are given as 1850-1870.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2024, 08:54:13 AM »
Thank you :)
Going back to a previous conversation on the thread I am now curious as to whether yours is open right into the the middle green segment or is the trumpet closed/sealed at the bottom inside before the middle segment starts?
And is the green uranium glass?
Apologies for so many questions but the differences might be future indicators of differentiating various pieces perhaps.
m

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2024, 09:26:45 AM »
Thanks for those links m, I wonder if Cagney’s small one has the same rim as the sawtooth one in the previous link as the St Louis picture looks like it has flat spots on the rim and a band around the lower part of the trumpet. It would be good to know if Cagneys small one has an open channel into the white knop.
Let’s face I expect St Louis,Baccarat and Boston Sandwich all made their own versions.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2024, 10:05:28 AM »
They probably did, but if it's possible to separate out whether it is Saint-Louis or Sandwich then that's interesting :)

There is also this one which appears to possibly have the trumpet part broken off but seems to have been open to the middle spiky portion of the vase:
https://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/02409.html

and this one from Christine which has an unpolished pontil mark/base (the original one on this thread appeared to have a polished pontil mark - see second link below to compare):
Christine's version:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2220.msg161284.html#msg161284
John's original vase on thread:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34877.0;attach=51498;image

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2024, 09:47:49 PM »
  I sold the vase some years ago. I remember it well though. The opening into the body was fashioned neatly and I could stick my pinky finger through the opening. Also the green body tested positive for uranium. Shards of this particular blown molded pattern were dug at the Sandwich site by Mr. Barlow Personally back in the day, in various colors. The pattern is called "blunted diamond and prism". A bit of a misnomer I think. the diamonds are soft and and a bit rounded , but still a point.
  The open bottom of the foot on some examples has always been suspect in my mind. Just not a thing in American glass in this period, unusual. Seems to be a thing in the sawtooth version.  Twingedsphinx suggestion likely.
  Christines vase I am not sure what to think. The Mellon ribbed body bespeaks Bohemia, But the heavy top rim treatment says not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand