No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WMF Ikora I think not  (Read 843 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
WMF Ikora I think not
« on: July 25, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »
I bought this small relatively heavy vase from a brocante here in France (similar to a fleamarket).  I just loved the look and feel of it and purchased it.  The more I have touched it and looked at it I think WMF Ikora although after looking through my books and the net I see it isnt.  The white in the pic is actually more opalescent and streaky than pure white.  The whole vase is cased in clear and the base has a very central perfect ground out polished pontil.  The pattern in chocolate (can tell I am a girl) speaks for itself I think.

Any help much appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
Re: WMF Ikora I think not
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
Bump  :ooh:
SVP

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »
Looks very modern to me...   :-\

I am not a man

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:53:01 AM »
There is no wear on the base so agreed certainly modern having a ground out polished pontil makes it quality ?? I do not think its yet another tourist piece but who where etc puzzles me.
Thanks Margi

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:33 PM »
... having a ground out polished pontil makes it quality ??
Theoretically ... it might indicate "quality finishing", but it would not necessarily imply that the whole item is "quality". All it really means is that the folk who produced something chose to spend a bit of extra time and cost finishing the piece and that would have been reflected in the initial sale price.

It may have been necessary purely on practical grounds to grind out the pontil mark because otherwise the item would have been unstable on a flat surface. The ground area may then have been polished because the company had a policy of finishing ground areas very tidily. So, an item itself may not be "quality" but the practicalities and the pride of the company could require the grinding and polishing to be done.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:27:06 PM »
Or perhaps it's prepared as a surface for a paper label to be stuck on?
I've just seen a bit by Adrian Sankey which has exactly that, a label with the maker's name on it, on a pontil mark finished in a way similar to this - I can't see to be sure - the label's over it :spls: but I could make out the contour.
Have you considered him as a maker for this piece?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
Better late than never  :) I've come across some Clichy vases that are similar to this - or at least they are vases id'd as Clichy.  Perhaps a little more splashy or spotty than this decor but certainly along these lines and colours.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand