No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian? dump / paperweight  (Read 7990 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Victorian? dump / paperweight
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
Colour is more like Whitefriars sea green than the darker bottle green normally seen them in? Is it Victorian? Is it a doorstop or paperweight?

It is huge (5 x 5") nearly 3kg.

cheers

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Victorian? dump / paperweight
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »
Most likely a doorstop. Probably Victorian, but base finish is not like others of that styke I have seen. On the other hand, I might be remembering bases incorrectly.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:33:39 PM »
Hi There,

I am not convinced that these lighter colour paperweights are all Victorian... Considering their condition and their large numbers, I suspect that many were made very recently and overseas  :or:.

Of course, there are some genuine Victorian dumps around, too... But I am not sure this one is....

SophieB

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »
The couple I have are very rough on the base and neither stand up straight and the pontil scars are broken,
                                                                                                                                      Keith.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:25:25 AM »

I believe the origin of the term 'dump' for a type of weight is that these weights were made from the poorer quality glass remaining at the end of the batch, which was to be 'dumped' - ie disposed of as unusable. The great majority of green glass 'dumps' were not made in this way, of course, as they were made for sale (eg Kilner and Redfearn sometimes imprinted their names on the base). But the Victorian pieces are generally a dark green, being made from bottle glass.

The problem with attributing these paler pieces to a particular date, manufacturer - or even country - is that almost any glass factory was capable of producing them, whether as products for sale, or as 'friggers' by the workers, until they went over to automated systems. I have seen roughly spherical blobs with bubbles in for sale at various small glass studios I have visited.  Most of them make good doorstops if heavy enough - otherwise - IMHO - they would be better thrown in the cullet skip, having no redeeming features (but I feel that way about the many Caithness 'bubbles and swirls' too, which many people collect...!)

Hartley Wood Glass in North East England made and sold typical Victorian style dumps with internal bubble flowers in the 1960s - these were a somewhat paler green than Victorian ones; and a few years ago a flood of very pale blue-green Victorian style tiered flower dumps appeared at glass and antique fairs and on eBay (all being sold as 'Victorian', but still warm from the Chinese kiln, I suspect).  These were rather slim, and had flat polished bases as I recall.

Anyway, I very much doubt that this piece is Victorian, despite the rough pontil mark.

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Thanks for all comments so far, think maybe I should take some better photos, loads of base wear the odd bullseye ding and lot's of age related scratches, pretty sure there is some age to it and not made yesterday and with all due respect, holding it in front of me, I know it's sometimes hard from a photo but pretty sure it's not modern Chinese.
Chris 

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »

Hi Chris

I wasn't trying to suggest it was Chinese - the colour does not look correct.  If it were Whitefriars, I imagine it would be lead crystal.

I own have a similar item - I have no idea who made it. But it makes a good doorstop!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »
Modern Chinese huge bubbly things are either nice and clear or slightly yellowish (unless of course they are coloured  :24: ) and with a ground base.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:48:47 PM »
Hi Alan, your knowledge is greatly appreciated, trying to answer Sophie B in my usual 'tactless' way that I am pretty sure it has some age to it and pretty sure it's not 'modern  :or:
Thanks Chris

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 07:58:35 PM »
This weight could have been made at any time with bottle glass.  Basal wear is not really a good indicator of age with soft glass.  It took only a year or so to put a wear ring on a Coke bottle back in the day when they were more common.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand