No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bowl? Vase? Frosted? What?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Bowl? Vase? Frosted? What?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
Spot on MIchelle,I can never find past posts,how do you do it? there should be a 'Thickie' smiley for me!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
haha keith, i would need that smiley lots also
I can never find them either, but i only found this one the other day to use the link in ebay as im selling mine, its been sat around forever and i need space.
Never did get a definitive answer on it.
Although i did work something out the other day, you have to be on the home page to search properly, as it will only search the area you are in (well it seems to when i try and search anyway) and sometimes if you write it in all caps, all lower case or a mix you get different results.
I can find my own ones quite quickly now whereas i use to sit and go through all my posts to try and find something. I just try and remember how i would have described something.
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
 :-[ Christine you did a good job finding the Tiffin one so no need for the red face.  I'm still checking bases but one more to throw in the mix is Diamond Glass, same time period, finish is one they did ....I'll keep looking.
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
Hi all, I don't have quick access to books so I use the web as much as possible.  I know there are lots of mis-attributions out there but that's why I come back here and try to get some real live help.   I really appreciate the help.

Anyway, as soon as someone called it stretch glass I looked at diamond and northwood and fenton and others that made this kind of glass and US Glass/Tiffin was the only one that I found that matched the foot shape and the body shape as well as offered stretch glass in this color.   Not saying it's the end of it but that's how I landed on US Glass / Tiffin.  

Assuming this stretch glass collector ... http://www.shetlarglass.com/stretchglass/SGCompanies/SGID.htm ... is fairly good at distinguishing company to company, I also went through all their company pages for bowl and vase shapes.  I still think mine is USG/Tiffin.  

deco.queen, can you tell me the difference in 15179 and 179 and also what is different about the foot for what I have?  

Thanks.

Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 11:11:40 PM »
There is no difference in the numbers 179 and 15179 refer to the same pattern. The base of your piece has an extra "step".  Here are examples of the Tiffin base and they don't have the "bird bath" bottom either.
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 03:22:56 AM »
Thanks deco!.  That's the kind of detail I wasn't able to see earlier.   ... and it's exactly why I tried to get a good shot of the molding on the foot of my piece at the top of the thread.   Back to the hunt then.   It was very close. 
Pithy sig withheld

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »
Assuming this stretch glass collector ... http://www.shetlarglass.com/stretchglass/SGCompanies/SGID.htm ... is fairly good at distinguishing company to company, I also went through all their company pages for bowl and vase shapes.  I still think mine is USG/Tiffin.  

They are very good at what they do, and their site has proven to be invaluable to me at times. At one point it allowed me to ID a vase I had been attempting to ID for years....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 06:16:45 PM »
While I agree Dave's site is excellent there is a technical difference between attributing these to Factory R (Tiffin) of the USG conglomerate when the UGS collectors strongly believe these stretch pieces were produced at Factory G (Glassport) which was also in the USG conglomerate. That may be why Janice has not been able to locate them in Tiffin references. You can also find these stretch finishes on UGS opaques, especially blue which are well documented as being produced by Factory G.  Ken 

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »
Thanks for the continuing education guys.  

Ken, I'd read some history about USG and the companies in the trust but am not clear on the whole genealogy; when companies were considered part of USG; who produced what when; how much 'sharing' occured; etc.   I'll see what I can turn up for Glassport (Factory GP?, Wikipedia says factory G was Gillinder).  

-Buck
Pithy sig withheld

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 03:20:43 AM »
Wikipedia is talking about USG before the reorganization in 1923 & there were actually two factory Gs, one Gillinder which was sold in 1907 & Glassport which opened in 1894. 1/2 of the old conglomerate was gone by that time, Challinor Taylor, Richards & Hartley, Bellaire Goblet, O'Hara, Columbia, etc, etc, etc. I'll try & simplify this. In 1923 USG reorganized because many of the original ancilliary companies had either gone out of business or had dropped out of the conglomerate. What replaced them were simply factories not individual companies operating under the USG reorganization. Many of these factories continued as part of USG until the 2nd reorganization in 1937 when USG headquarters moved from the Pittsburgh area to Tiffin, Ohio (Factory R) & this remained relatively intact until 1962 when USG went bankrupt. Now what causes confusion is that prior to September 1927 many USG products produced after the 1923 were labeled either with an inpressed USG in the glass  or a USG paper label. In September 1927 all glass produced within USG regardless of what factory produced it was labeled Tiffin by paper label. Confusing? yes, but its typical of what happened within many conglomerates during this time in the US. Now Tiffin Factory R continued on after the USG 1962 bankruptcy as the Tiffin Art Glass Company when former employees purchased it from the bankruptcy proceedings & it remained open under several different ownership changes until 1980 when it finally closed.  Glassport Factory G was still in operation until it was destroyed by a tornado in 1963 that by todays standards was at least an F3.  Ken      

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand