Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Old Picture Paperweight Chinese

(1/2) > >>

mhgcgolfclub:
Please help with ID of this paperweight, looks to have some age and I thought maybe Chinese but cannot find any other similar, just under 3" in diameter, uneven unpolished concaved base

Thanks Roy

Leni:
Looks like a 'Chinese White' to me.  They came with all sorts of different pictures, so I'm not surprised you haven't found one exactly like it.  It could indeed have some age, but I believe the Chinese have been making these again recently.  Still, old or new, I think it's very nice  :) 

tropdevin:

Hi.  It is a very typical Chinese White. If you look in the 2010 PCA Bulletin you will find an article on these.....by me!  This is one from the 1920 - 1940 period, I think.

Alan

SophieB:
For Roy:
Oh! I love that one... I think Chinese whites are simply gorgeous...

For Leni,
Do you have evidence that the Chinese have restarted the production of traditional Chinese whites (I am not talking the modern transfers that can be found everywhere)? It would not surprise me, except that both Alan and I had doubt whether this would be commercially feasible. I also think that they may have been produced later in the XXth that it often believed... Anyway any information you may have would be really welcome.

Many thanks.

Sophie

Leni:
No, I wasn't meaning there were new traditional style Chinese Whites, Sophie.  I was referring to the ones with transfer prints.  Richard Giles wrote an article about them in the Paperweight Collectors Circle newsletter earlier this year. 

I believe the Chinese have started producing something with hand-painted pictures in, but these are the 'painting inside' ones (like the 'snuff' bottles), and are more like Christmas baubles than paperweights. 

Sorry I don't have any more information than that - all I know is picked from someone else's brain!   ;D   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version