No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber 'blenko like' water bottle / decanter / jug  (Read 3240 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Amber 'blenko like' water bottle / decanter / jug
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
My imagination is working. The shape of the bottle reminds me of medicine or bitters bottles. But your bottle is pretty large and has what looks like pour spouts to me. It made me think about prohibition in the USA. The story is on the sha site. Bitters has a high content of alcohol, so was bought by people during prohibition to drink. This bottle would have been perfect for them. Ths shape looks like medicine and the size is not big enough to totally negate deniability. "Of course, it's medicine, Mr. Revenuer." :srn:

I like this story better than the recent reproduction one. Pontil scars usually indicate an older bottle. Most bottles are machine made these days. So I would assume yours is a bit older until proved otherwise.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 01:07:18 AM »
I'm not certain that is a pontil scar. There's something too round and even about it?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:51 AM »
Hi thanks Cathy,
Well, I thought I knew a pontil scar when I saw one but maybe not.  Here's a close up pic.  It's certainly not from the mold.  And I think whatever was there was broken away after the bottle was fire polished assuming that's how it got it's finish. 

Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
Okay, yes that does seem to ber a pontil scar. I had managed to skip your earlier description of the scar and was just going by the first photo.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand