No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request and confirmation of use for Celery  (Read 1941 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: id request and confirmation of use for Celery
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 10:40:25 AM »
I can add that I can think of absolutely no use for celery at all!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:48:59 PM »
So really, what is the difference between a celery and a six inch vase? Apart from the fact that the celery might have that word etched in some manner upon it?  :huh:

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:36:15 AM »
So really, what is the difference between a celery and a six inch vase? Apart from the fact that the celery might have that word etched in some manner upon it?  :huh:   Carolyn

The difference is Celery   :24:

No - really I had this same question.  How do you tell the difference between a vase, and a celery?  Maybe it is just us here in Canada that do not know......Help??
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »
The original Victorian celery vases, as so named in the catalogues, seemed often to have feet and a fairly wide upright form with a slight flare at the top. Post 1942 ones were often indistinguishable from vases but discreetly marked celery (  ;) ;) )because a container for celery was not subject to Luxury Goods Tax.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »
I had it in mind to measure my dozen or so Celeries, just to see if Sid was correct about the internal depth - so will post that later today.   Will also include pics. of a few just to support Lustrousstone's description of this item.   Some of the Victorian pieces are real works of art.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 02:41:49 PM »
Paul

For several hundred examples, I would point you to "Celery Vases - Art Glass, Pattern Glass, and Cut Glass" by Dorothy Daugherty published by Schiffer.  

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 03:18:45 PM »
many thanks sid  -  I do support Schiffer where ever possible, and did in fact have two volumes arrive in the post this morning.  Appreciate your helpful reply, and wasn't really doubting you  -  just that it's a little less expensive for me to go home and measure my own examples, than buy the book ;D.    When I started collecting, I got really hooked on these things - they have periods of being quite common some times at the sales I frequent - and I soon had about 30 or so, but lack of space reared it's ugly head again, and at least half of them went back to the charity shops. :cry:   I did start last evening to measure them, but lack of time stopped me (I was at the Globe in London).    But I did measure one cut example, and it ran out at virtually 7 inches, but think that is rather the exception to the rule.    I will look again this evening.   thanks again for your thoughts  -  does the Schiffer book cover much of the British production of Celeries??

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 03:56:02 PM »
Hello

Daugherty's book is largely focussed on American examples.  A quick look shows two (2) examples identified as being from the UK.  I suspect that some of the "unknown makers" may come from your way.

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 08:04:17 PM »
hmm  -  two examples from ...'several hundred examples'..maybe too few to make the book worthwhile for me - but they are great things to collect, wherever they come from, particularly the cut ones.   I don't know about the States, but as you may be aware the British system of glass Reg. Nos. makes for an easier life - at least if your celery has a No. :).   Unfortunately, 3 out of 5 don't.   Lustrousstone's description of the type is more than adequate, as you'd expect. The C19 makers copied everything and may have settled on this slightly 'Greek urn' shaped design because they favoured the 'classics'.  I have parted with all but one of my more modern examples (where the piece carries the word 'Celery'), and just kept the older, mostly numbered/pressed ones.   After a while the pre 1930 ish ones become easy to recognize, with the stem, the mostly straight sides, and the slightly flared rim, and often a star cut/pressed circular foot.    The overall height varies a lot (taking into account stemmed and non-stemmed examples), so the following measurements refer to the internal depth only. Out of 15 pressed pieces the largest has a depth of 6.3/4" and the smallest 4.7/8".   With the three cut pieces (shown in the picture), they run from 5.5/8" up to 7".  In the pic. of the two pressed pieces, one is the well known George Davidson design (shown in Jenny Thompson). But then comes the exception to the rule and the pressed piece that looks more like a slim flower vase is in fact marked 'CELERY' - but no Reg. No. so its origin is unknown, and it has a depth of 8"  -  but I don't think it would hold much celery.    Used to see shed loads of these things but they are getting thinner on the ground, unfortunately.    Really haven't a clue how common or otherwise these things are outside the U.K., but if you want a theme to collect you could do a lot worse. :)    sorry the pics. are crap, David Bailey had the night orf.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »
Some nice American examples on this site, some I would never have imagined were celery glasses.
Chris

http://www.patternglass.com/Store/CeleryVase/index.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand