No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridescent shell bowl  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Iridescent shell bowl
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:59:59 AM »
I remember being rather surprised when I saw in the program "Cracking Antiques" that if you cover a deer skull with antlers in gold foil and paint the background bright red it's considered to be rather fashionable in Great Brittain at this moment.

I think much of Great Britain would disagree with that statement  :24: :24:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:23:20 AM »
Christine is right.

To look fantastic it should of course be silver foil..... ;D

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
 :24: :24: :24:

Astrid, I've also wondered about the Briton's home-decorating tastes and what is considered 'fashionable' -- I just don't get how a person can take a perfectly respectable lampshade, stick plumes to it, and think it looks better than it did originally  :spls:.  And when it comes to colour, I'm a bit of a colour-phobe -- I only wear black (and when I'm feeling wild, dark brown)...  the interior of my home is in shades of white, cream, beige and brown.  I had a nervous breakdown one month ago when my husband insisted on painting our bedroom walls pale blue  :thud:.   Britons seem to like bright colours on their walls.

But, before I'm accused of going off subject, let me get back to the bowl... 

Though the style may certainly be reminiscent of Polish glass, I do not recall seeing iridescence used on any contemporary pieces.  That alone makes me doubt its 'Polishness'.  (Now I'm sure someone will prove me wrong by sending a link, but I'm used to being wrong, so it's OK  :usd:)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
Oh dear, Anik! - i think white, beige (eeeeek!) and brown would give me a nervous breakdown.
(just the thought sent my to my bedroom for relief - orange and deep purple with patches of various deep pinks and yellow on the walls, midnight blue and petrol green ceiling, bit of gold glittery border stuff - the theme is sunset)

I found this thing on ebay today, wondered if it might be related to the thing in question.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARL-RADKE-PHOENIX-STUDIO-ART-GLASS-SHELL-BOWL-83-1-/110544861469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
Quote from: chopin-liszt link=topic=he35417.msg192450#msg192450 date=1281892429
...just the thought sent my to my bedroom for relief - orange and deep purple with patches of various deep pinks and yellow on the walls, midnight blue and petrol green ceiling, bit of gold glittery border stuff - the theme is sunset

Oh lordy, lordy, Sue  :thud:!  Such a room would send me running for the hills in a hysterical fit...  orange, purple, pink, yellow, blue and green???  And all in one room?  And I thought my husband was acting freakish by painting my perfectly lovely white bedroom a lady-panty-shade of blue.  :wsh:

Now, very cleverly keeping this thread on the topic of the shell/bowl, I wonder if anyone will recognize the maker?  The shell in your link doesn't quite strike me as a relative of Wolfie's piece -- it (the one in the link above) looks much more refined and delicate. 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »
 :ha:
My bedroom is very cosy!
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/bedroomart.jpg

Sorry the shells seem to be very different - it's hard to tell on my monitor, because everything's washed out.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »
Sorry the shells seem to be very different - it's hard to tell on my monitor, because everything's washed out.

... must be due to all those crazy colours bouncing off your walls and hitting the screen  :24: :24:
(Just teasing, Sue...  :kissy: :kissy: :kissy:)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 03:38:57 AM »
Oh dear, Anik! - i think white, beige (eeeeek!) and brown would give me a nervous breakdown.
(just the thought sent my to my bedroom for relief - orange and deep purple with patches of various deep pinks and yellow on the walls, midnight blue and petrol green ceiling, bit of gold glittery border stuff - the theme is sunset)

:hug: Give me colour any day...

We're in the process of getting our house altered (expanding to fit more glass room for the kids) but there are issues with the architect. She keeps suggesting greys as being 'nice and neutral', a phrase I think is an oxymoron, and she almost went into paroxisms when I said I wanted our bathroom to be art deco...

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 05:13:35 AM »
I think they're quite different because the ebay piece is opalescent (and thus slightly transparent - which ironically is hard to see because of the white background), whereas yours is opaque with a turquoise underside, and of course has that irridescent effect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand