No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 40th Anniversary of EIIR Coronation paperweight ~ Caithness?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
40th Anniversary of EIIR Coronation paperweight ~ Caithness?
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:07:47 PM »
Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone can confirm for me that this paperweight is by Caithness ~ it's inscribed 10/2000 on the bottom, but there's no maker's mark. About 2.5"/6.5cm in diameter.

Thanks in anticipation, John. 8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: 40th Anniversary of EIIR Coronation paperweight ~ Caithness?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:10:53 PM »
Yes, it was commissioned by the dealer, Peter Jones China in 1993.

There was also a Cobalt base version, rather than the Ruby of yours, John. There was also a ruby overlay version with facets. The overaly was a 40 piece edition, the Cobalt base version was 250 pieces and the Ruby base one was, indeed, 2000 items.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
Thank you very much Kev.

As it happens, I also have the faceted ruby overlay one with a Millefiori crown and Whitefriars Monk cane ~ they came in a mixed lot which I bought at auction recently. That one was a bit easier to ID, as it was marked as Caithness!!

Many thanks again, John.  :)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
There were weights in 1992 (40 years accession) and 1993 (Coronation). The 1993 weights mentioned by KevH can be viewed on Scotlandsglass:
Ruby version (this post), Coronation Coach engraved.
Cobalt version (which is a pedestal type), Coronation Coach engraved.
Ruby Overlay with a Millefiori Crown and the monk cane. Two versions of this weight with different facetting are known - could be prototypes.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »
Thank you Wuff ~ very useful! I'll be listing the ruby coach and also the overlay on eBay on Sunday, and will include an acknowledgement and link with the details if you don't mind.
Cheers, John.  8)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:01 AM »

Does anyone else share my misgivings about the way this Board is used on occasion, whereby someone with relatively little knowledge of a particular subject gets other with greater expertise to give free identification advice - not because their main wish is to learn more, but because they hope to make a profit for themselves (usually on eBay)?  It is good that they acknowledge the contribution of Board members in their adverts, but how about the idea that they should offer a donation - say 10% of sale price ? - to the GMB? (In this case that might not be very much: I tried to sell one of these weights last year, starting it at £4.99. It got no bids, so I put it into auction in a mixed lot...) ;).

Any thoughts or comments?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
Coming from someone who links to his paperweights website, which includes a for sale section, in his signature...

Knowledge shared is knowledge gained by everyone. Does it matter what that information is used for (illegal or dubious purposes excepted)? Can you honestly say you have never profited by something you learned here, even if only to nab something for your collection?

How would we police it?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »

Hi Christine

I think what I was referring to is very different from saying 'Hey! I have some items for sale. Take a look!'.  I have no difficulty with that on the GMB, whether via a website link, an ebay link, or a link in the appropriate sales area.  That is not drawing on other people's knowledge to determine the identity or possible value of something.  Indeed, if I make a mistake and list a Bacchus on my website as a 'Murano', with a Murano price, I bet someone would snap it up, rather than say 'Do you realise that is a Bacchus?'.

Regarding knowledge - yes, I agree that we should all share knowledge. And I am sure that we all profit by doing so, in one way or another, whether that is obvious in the short term or not.  I was not suggesting a rigid scheme that should be policed: I was suggesting something that individuals might feel was appropriate on occasion, in order to help the GMB, given the specific benefits that they have obtained from it.

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
I have no difficulty with that on the GMB, whether via a website link, an ebay link, or a link in the appropriate sales area.  That is not drawing on other people's knowledge to determine the identity or possible value of something.

Sellers, whether they are regular business sellers, or just "one off" occasional sellers, have to get their information from somewhere, surely that's the whole point of this and other glass forums!  Nobody is born with an inbuilt fountain of knowledge on any particular subject as far as I know! :huh:

Sounds like you are having a "grumpy day", as I can't really see the point you are making.  This forum is full of people who buy to sell as well as collector's who occasionally sell.
 :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
My point was, what's the the difference between free advertising and free information when both are aimed at making a profit. You'd have difficulty proving the GMB helped in either situation, especially in a field like paperweights. Isn't the GMB part of doing the research?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand