No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frantisek Zemek? ID = Chribska (but not Zemek)  (Read 3397 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Frantisek Zemek? ID = Chribska (but not Zemek)
« on: August 13, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
Bought this this morning, sorry photo not great.  But I think it is a Frantisek Zemek piece.  Would appreciate any other info - pattern number? date of production?
I think the glassworks may have been Mstisov, and the vase part of the Rhapsody range?   7 .5 inches tall, flat polished base.  TIA

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Frantisek Zemek?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »
Can you post a picture from one or more different angles? I would like to see the coloured bits more clearly and seperate from each other to see the shapes and how many different colours that used.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
Well I am finding this nigh on impossible to photograph........I have tried putting white fabric inside to separate the colours, but that doesn't work either.

It has the circle decoration on one side in shades of Amber and the other side in shades of Blue, here are a couple of other photos but I am not sure they are good enough to help you

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
It does do some lovely optical effects - presumably that's what is causing the photographic problems!

Are the circles of colour in the body, or applied to the outside, or the inside? Are they lumpy?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
Now that's a good question, difficult to answer.  It looks as if they are within the body, BUT around the edge of the coloured circles is a slight ridge/indentation.  Cannot get my fingers in to have a "feel", but there appears to be a "bridge" of glass inside between the two sides, a bridge which is suspended as it appears from the underside of base not to be solid down to the inside base of vase.????? :huh:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
 :huh: 8) :huh:

Clear as mud, Emmi! (just joking) I take it the bridgy bit is why you can't shove a white cloth in to separate the colours. Now you've mentioned it, I can see a bit of it coming forward from the back side (2 words, I'm making that clear to prevent disintegration of this thread) on one of your pics. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find a pic of something in just one colour with a similar thing in it, to help your illustration.
(just don't hold your breath - it might be tomorrow).

Is the bridge bit in the two colours?

I think your vase is gorgeous. :thup: It's got to be something good!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »
I am pretty sure it is a Czech vase but certainly not Zemek. I cannot recall the factory. Doubtless within a few days Jindrich or others will be able to confirm the factory! A nice looking piece though,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
I believe that the Rhapsody pieces have 4 colour straps or prunts separately attached to the glass in blue, green, amber and red. All the examples of Rhapsody I know show those 4 separate straps or prunts in those 4 colours together.

Jindrich has a lot of different Rhapsody items on his Picasa site: http://picasaweb.google.nl/Jindra8526/FrantisekZemekRhapsody#

Given that the colour areas on your vase are blue and amber only, are much larger than the straps or prunts I've seen on Rhapsody and the prunts or straps on Rhapsody are very clearly sticking out of the glass, I really don't think your vase is of that series.

Beyond that, I really can't say whether it could be Mstisov or Zemek in some other design range - perhaps Jindrich can be of assistance here.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »
Rhapsody bits usually have four colours on a clear body either applied as prunts or trails. This is a good example, you can see that the prunts stick out from the body (keep it clean ;D). There are a few more Rhapsody vases in that album - click "View All".

I don't know if any of the range was made with two (or three) colours but your coloured bits don't look like they are on the outside of the vase so I would keep looking for now.

Three of you have just stolen my thunder but I'll post this anyway....

John

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »
 :thud: Seems I will have to be patient then, just when I thought I'd bought something I knew about even with my scant Czech knowledge.  But thanks for all your input.  If there is no definite result, I will take it to the Cambridge Glass fair in September and if any of you are there, perhaps we can have a "hands on" chat about it. :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand