No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this vase Steuben?  (Read 523 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Is this vase Steuben?
« on: August 13, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
I have had this vase for at least 25 years and have yet to get a sensible attribution.  It is c. 15 cms tall.  The colour is a superb mulberry pink/red.  There are no makers marks.  The defining feature to me is the coloured glass overlay which is about 2mms thick.  When it has bee cut to clear (see third photo) you can actually see the booundary between the glass layers.

The reason I think it may be Steuben is that a vase on Ebay in a darkish green seemed to have the same very thick outer glass layer cut to clear and the seller attributeed it to Steuben.  I am reluctant to accept Ebay attribution - so many crass errors.  Perhaps someone can steer me to a Steuben website that is comp[rehensive or better still can inform me who is likely to have made it.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is this vase Steuben?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:31:24 AM »
I can't help you with the maker of the vase other than to say it does not look like Steuben glass. It looks like it might be Czech to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Is this vase Steuben?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:50:51 AM »
VSL is another possibility.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com