No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 40th Anniversary of EIIR Coronation paperweight ~ Caithness?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Re: 40th Anniversary of EIIR Coronation paperweight ~ Caithness?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »
Hi Alan (and others!),

I’d like to respond to your comments as follows:

1)   I had spent some time ‘researching’ the paperweight before asking about it, and had reached the conclusion that it almost certainly was Caithness but just wanted final confirmation ~ I didn’t actually ask for identification. Surely it’s better that I list an item accurately rather than misrepresenting it?

2)   I have to say that I’m rather surprised that you feel the way you do about this ~ hope you don’t mind me quoting from your excellent website at the link you include with your postings (http://www.pwts.co.uk/) where you state:

“…we can probably help you with the identification and valuation of your paperweights (whether for sale, insurance or probate)”

What’s the difference between doing so on this board and via your website?

Additionally, you too ask for the help of others when, on your website, you write:

“Please browse the site, and let me know what you think would improve it - and please send me useful links if you have any.”

3)   Your assertion that I’m not interested in learning, but only in profit, just isn’t true. The most enjoyment I get out of what I do to earn my living (I’m afraid that I haven’t been able to retire yet!) is from learning something new all the time, not just in the field of glass but about the many varied items I come across. And I like to think that I’m not lazy about this learning ~ I spend many hours each week trying to find out about the items which interest me.

4)   As you say, I have relatively little knowledge of this subject (nor of most others!), mainly because I deal in many different areas of interest, and one of the best ways to increase my knowledge is with the help of experts on forums such as this. I certainly don’t have to ask about as many objects as I used to, so it seems to be helping. I haven’t therefore been able to contribute very much to the many topics discussed on the board but I have, on several occasions, made photographs of objects which I’ve asked about on this board available to other members when asked if I would do so for inclusion in their publications and/or websites. I’ve always been very happy to do this, even though it has sometimes involved quite a bit of time and effort on my part to ensure accurate colour representation etc.

5)    If it will make you feel any better about things, I’ll include the fact that I’m intending to sell the item in any request I make for information in future. That way, anyone who feels the same way as you obviously do will have the option of not helping.

A big thank you to the rest of you. I hope that, given the way this topic has developed, you’ll understand if I don’t include a link to it with my listing ~ don’t want to put people off using the board!

John.  8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »

Hi John

Thanks for that detailed, considered and helpful reply.  I think your suggestion that someone wanting information because they plan to sell the item, should say so up front, is a very good idea.

I could perhaps have phrased my comments more carefully, as I did not mean to imply you were not interested in learning.  The request was, as I saw it, primarily in order to help you when selling the item - my apologies if that was not clear, or was incorrect.

I am all in favour of people understanding more about what they are selling, whether it is individuals, dealers, or auction houses! If only all attributions were accurate.  But I do feel there is a difference between private individuals - who may well know nothing about some object they have - and professional dealers or auction houses. Or is that naive of me?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »
But I do feel there is a difference between private individuals - who may well know nothing about some object they have - and professional dealers or auction houses. Or is that naive of me?

Well, forgive me if I appear dense, but I just cannot see your point. Many a professional auction house could do with asking for information on the items they are selling, most especially when they are guilty of attributing something incorrectly.  Of course it is likely to be in your favour if they are saying a Baccarat weight is Murano, but not so favourable if they are doing it the other way round, and someone (who doesn't know as much as you do) pays dearly for a wrongly attributed piece.  Many a professional dealer, including ones who use this forum, also have to ask from time to time about something outside of their usual remit.

Nobody knows everything . How then did you acquire your knowledge ?  Did you never ask a question about  anything? 

I am not "having a go" at you Alan, but it seems strange to me that you are trying to differentiate between dealers and others in the search for knowledge. And it confuses me :huh:

So how do you feel about the Market Place section on this forum?  Many people here have had their piece discussed, then it is put on ebay, and then it is "advertised" in the Market Place.  Some of those people are professional sellers, some just taking a punt.........even more confused I am :huh: :huh:

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 12:31:30 AM »
Hi Alan,

I think your suggestion that someone wanting information because they plan to sell the item, should say so up front, is a very good idea.

I'm afraid you've misread what I wrote Alan! I would not presume to suggest that anyone on the board should do anything ~ it's not my place to do so. What I said was that I would do so if it would ease your concerns.

But I do feel there is a difference between private individuals - who may well know nothing about some object they have - and professional dealers or auction houses. Or is that naive of me?

I'm not quite sure what difference you are referring to but, as an 'interested party' to the discussion, I probably shouldn't comment if what you mean is that private individuals should be allowed to ask for information here whereas professional dealers and auction houses should not unless they pay for it. I would just state that in my case (and, I'm sure, that of other dealers who are members here) the fact that I sell items does not mean that I'm not very keen to learn about them before I do. I would love to keep a lot of the items I sell, but am not in a financial position to be able to do so ~ the line is a very fine one indeed.

I would also reiterate the point I made earlier about the inconsistency in your argument when you suggest that I shouldn't ask for information on this board without making a financial contribution but you are happy to ask others on your website, which you use inter alia for selling paperweights, for their help in improving it.

John. 8)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 06:31:53 AM »
Hi John / vidrioguapo / other readers

(This thread has drifted off topic to more general philosophy about the use of the boards, so the Moderators may wish to consider moving it or splitting it.)

Let's be clear - I have not said that I believe that anyone ought to pay for information obtained from this board. What I have said is:

how about the idea that they should offer a donation

and also

I was suggesting something that individuals might feel was appropriate on occasion, in order to help the GMB, given the specific benefits that they have obtained from it

I do not see how either of those statements can be taken to indicate that I feel professionals should pay for any information they get here: that is not what I have said.

Regarding the differences between individuals, dealers, and auction houses, to which I referred: I do believe there are real differences. And some of these relate to choice, and volition.  An individual may have a piece they have been given, or inherited.  An auction house has little chioce about what is brought in for sale, other than to refuse to take the item. In these cases the owner or agent may wish to know more about an item that has, in effect, been imposed upon them.  That is not the case with a professional dealer (as I understand it) as they operate in an area in which they have some knowledge and understanding (I exclude here Dan the Man and his Big White Van who does house clearances).  A professional dealer has an object because he/she decided to purchase it, with the aim of making a profit by subsequent sale: the purchase was made following free choice.  That is a significant difference as I see it.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »
'morning all.

I think the topic was pushed rather than just drifting! ;D

My last words on the matter (promise!):

I don't know what the difference between

... how about the idea that they should offer a donation - say 10% of sale price ? - to the GMB? ...

and "paying for information obtained from this board" is!

... A professional dealer has an object because he/she decided to purchase it, with the aim of making a profit by subsequent sale: the purchase was made following free choice.  That is a significant difference as I see it.

Let me put this hypothetical situation forward:

I buy a mixed lot of 9 paperweights at auction (the only lot I manage to buy that week) because there are 6 in the lot which I recognise straight away and would like to resell. I get them home and, after spending some time with my books and on the internet, I can't find anything about 2 of the 3 which I didn't recognise but I'm 99% sure that I now know what the last one is. My options, as I see them, are:
1) Listing the last weight, stating that it is by XXX, and hoping that I'm right
2) Listing the last weight as "I think it's by XXX, but I'm not sure"
3) Keeping it, but I don't like it that much
4) Throwing it away, but maybe somebody out there really wants it, and it would be nice to get a few more pounds in the kitty
5) Asking those friendly knowledgable folk on the GMB for confirmation that it's by XXX
Number 5 sounds like the best idea, so ...

John.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand