No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with candle wax vase please by Frantisek Peceny  (Read 824 times)

Offline ryl2468

• Members
Help with candle wax vase please by Frantisek Peceny
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:42:31 AM »
Hi there everyone.I really enjoy this forum so thought it was time to register.My question is in relation to the candle wax vases that Frantisek Peceny designed.Is there more than one size in terms of height and weight.I own a pair of these vases which are approx 18cm high and weigh approx 630 grammes.I'm curious to know as I recently noticed that other candle wax vases weigh around 1.2 kgs.Thanks for reading my message and thanks in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Help with candle wax vase please by Frantisek Peceny
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:00:44 AM »
What I've learned about candlewax vases so far:

The production of candlewax vases has been continued outside the Czech Republic. According to Mark Hill's book, examples have been found with 'Italy' pressed on the base, and I seem to recall there have been candlewax vases found with 'made in Taiwan' labels on them. I have a pair of  candlewax vases in two different sizes - mine are lightweight and came from Taiwan most likely. Weight will vary as different factories use different quality glass and/or crystal. The modern ones are certainly not made from pressed crystal, and would be a lot lighter than vases pressed in crystal. I can't see from Mark Hill's book however if these were ever in Czechoslovakia made in pressed crystal.

Hope this helps,

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:54 AM »
Exactly.
And I would add that the original Hermanova vases were made in three sizes, 18, 23 and 28 cm in height.

Welcome to the board "ryl2468", try the search field with e.g. words "Peceny, candle" and you will find the related threads with a lot of more information!

PS: speaking of candle wax vases, my experience is that I have seen quite a lot of the 18cm ones, never found any "Italy" mark moulded in them but still: all of them have been quite dull in glass quality (absolutely no crystal but not even the typical Sklo Union quality, rather yellowish) and none of them with the typical matt ground rim but rather a double moulded shiny base ring. So I have my doubts of their origin.
I don't mind, the design is not my favourite anyway, so I haven't purchased any and I don't think I will.  :)

Offline ryl2468

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »
Thanks very much for your quick responses.My vases are not dull nor do they have any made in Italy markings.They have the birdbath base with matt base.My vases look as if they are well made they look crisp and the glass is very clear.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:14:44 AM »
As already mentioned there is great variation in quality with these vases but I have to say they look great in Sunshine, especially the larger versions. :sun:

I am a little annoyed with myself (but only a very little) as I have given the two I had (small and medium) as a birthday present to someone who thought they were lovely. It should not be too difficult to find some replacements sooner or later.

John

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »
John, I am sure too, that one reason for this design not being in the top of my favourite list is due to the fact I haven't seen a quality piece yet of it! Looking forward to that day!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand