No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flower Pot Paperweight- ID Needed, Country of Origin, Age  (Read 1358 times)

Offline thibs23

• Members
Flower Pot Paperweight- ID Needed, Country of Origin, Age
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:48:34 PM »
Hi again,

Hoping for a little assistance in identifying this paperweight.  I was told that it has some age simply from the wear on the bottom of the base.  Any information whatsoever would be very helpful.

Zach

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Flower Pot Paperweight- ID Needed, Country of Origin, Age
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:13:38 PM »

A very odd one.  Everything from the top of the leaves down could be modern Chinese (a bit of emery paper can soon put wear on a base!).  But the millefiori canes used for the flowers remind me a little of some in a paperweight I own, whose maker remains unknown.  My best guess for the canes is 'European, probably pre-1950' - but that does not mean the whole weight is the same age as the millefiori canes, of course: bits of cane can sit on a shelf for many, many years before being used. In what country did you get it?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thibs23

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
I got it in the US. If it helps its been sitting on my shelf for 20+ years.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:47:31 AM »
The greenish color of the stem reminds me of Robert Hamon's work. The shape would also work as I've seen a variety of shapes from H.

The paperweight gives me the impression that the maker was familiar with lampwork but less so with millefiori as they're quite distorted.

The centre cane appears to have a turquoise color in the midlle that I associate with Old English paperweights, not that this is OE by any stretch.

If held over a fire I'd say this was made by a maker who used canes from another source, as an experimental piece.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »
That would make a lot of sense, Alexander - I think the filigree stuff is a bit more sophisticated than the rest of it
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand