No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: whitefriars fakes?  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Cazza

• Members
whitefriars fakes?
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:46:25 PM »
Hi please can anyone tell me is the onion or o puffa vase one that is faked at the moment, does anyone have a picture of the base of an onion/puffa vase please? Enquiry if for a friend who has bought one and i am not sure about it.
Many thanks
Cazza

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: whitefriars fakes?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
As far as I know, there are repro/fake versions of the onion, hooped and bricklayer vases, The easiest way to tell them apart is using the colour as a guide, the reproductions are not in Whitefriars colours. Compare the colour of the onion vase to a bit which you know is correct or have a look at the colour guide here: http://www.whitefriars.com/colours.php

You could post a photo on Whitefriars.com or here for the inmates to pontificate over. ;D

John

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
Hi I only have a pic of the base, the pontil does look polished, the other part of the base in not correct it is a fake, they bought it from ebay and I have found the item on there. item no. 220649284087  the base is all wrong, I was right its a fake, not sure where they stand with this one as the seller does not say its Whitefriars, but it is listed in the Whitefriars catorgory. She showed me this vase today am waiting for her to email me the height, I shall have to give her the bad news.
Cazza

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
Take a look at what else he has for sale. The sooner this guy is thrown off of Ebay the better.
Seems every piece glass he gets with a polished pontil is made by Wfriars.
The way he groups genuine pieces and very dodgy pieces together in the same shot is well out of order.
I wish you the best of luck
Regards Mike

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:59:17 PM »
Yep, you've said it all Mike.                                                                                  Without "handling" it, it is difficult to say from the photo if it is fake or not!

The easiest way to tell them apart is using the colour as a guide, the reproductions are not in Whitefriars colours

In the case of the fake "green" it so happens it is a very good colour match for Whitefriars Meadow Green.  

Some of the fakes have a letter "V" scratched into the base, others do not.  Mostly they have a moulded and slightly "wonky" pontil mark, rather than a ground and polished one.

The price paid for this one under discussion was very cheap if it is genuine, usually go for £150 ish............so suspect that it was considered by the collectors of these onions (I am not) that it was fake.

As a matter of fact this seller is "peculiar" to say the least, and several people I know are keeping an eye on him for various reasons.  

As for getting any compensation for this seemingly bad purchase, I think that is impossible as the listing was innocuously written, as indeed most of his listings are.

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »
What are ebay doing allowing this. Its very wrong, fraudulent I would say. Thank you for your input, will tell the lady when she emails me later today.
Cazza

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
I wonder where the lady will stand with paypal complaint, as its listed in Whitefriars not in art glass or whatever, so they are implying its whitefriars
Cazza

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:08:18 PM »
They could claim an error. Look how many pottery items turn up in glass. And, as Emmi says, the listings are mostly innocuous and vague about "who made it"

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »
I don't think she will have a leg to stand on. So much glass is listed in the wrong category.

This seller has bought a lot of genuine Whitefriars, and as Mike has said, puts it in the background of his photos as a selling point. He's done it a lot with bark lookalikes,
advertised some other textured non Whitefriars pieces as rare Sky Blue without saying the W/F word..........designed purely to deceive. He has been reported to ebay but nothing has ever happened to any of his listings. He buys Riihimkai items listed correctly and then tries to pass them off as Whitefriars.  I have been reported by him to ebay (nothing happened) just when I've tried to put him right.  I don't bother any more, what's the point.  ??

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »
I have reported some of the listings which are claiming wf but of course are not. makes me very angry.
Cazza

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand