No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "I.V.R." Label Mystery and Fine 1930s (?) Murano Vase  (Read 3167 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
"I.V.R." Label Mystery and Fine 1930s (?) Murano Vase
« on: August 28, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
There is no information on this board, on the net or in any of my reference books for this black I.V.R. "Mvrano" label with a dove and vases.  (When I get an answer I'll post a picture of just the label on the "labels" board).  The vase is a beautiful white slightly opalescent glass over green, so as to create dramatic streaks.  The base is iridescent, purpled green glass.  I would love to know who designed and created it, and when.  I'm thinking it's older, 1920s-1940s, based upon design qualities.  I've also included a broken and taped together bird from my collection with the same label.  I need to invest in a hot glue gun for this poor creature.
Thanks,
Charles.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: "I.V.R." Label Mystery and Fine 1930s (?) Murano Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:11:34 PM »
This is a mystery. There was a mid-century Murano company, IVR Mazzega, that employed many of the great Murano masters. The IVR stood for Industrie Vetrarie Riunite. IVR Mazzega evolved from Romana Mazzega, then Fratelli Mazzega (1929-1950). The company closed in 1983. Your label is not one I have seen associated with them. I mentioned them because the meaning of the IVR is probably the same, so may help you track down the maker. Mazzega was apparently never known as Murano IVR.

I cannot see the bird picture well enough to tell for sure how old it might be (too small to see detail). Animal production started in earnest in Murano during the 1930s. Most, but not all, bird-on-pedestal forms are from the 1950s and later. Your bird looks like it might be gold on lattimo, which is a technique popular for 1930s animals.

Do your labels look like they might be old? The one you show strikes me as more recent, probably because it is in such good shape.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Anita - it is an older, foil type label such as was in use in the 1950s and earlier.  The vase also has an assortment of labels on the underside, the round one appears to say "Murano."  See pix.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
For what it's worth, the paper label on the underside I've just discovered may be a "generic" one "frequently used by Fratelli Toso."  The vase, however, does not remind me of Fratelli Toso.  http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=5&pictureid=142

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
For what it's worth, the paper label on the underside I've just discovered may be a "generic" one "frequently used by Fratelli Toso."  The vase, however, does not remind me of Fratelli Toso.  http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=5&pictureid=142

Hi there -- not sure IF this matters or not as I have stared a zillion times at my label referred to here.

I just note, mine has a ._._._._._._._ Pattern to it.

Seems like this one, only has a . . . . . . . (if that makes any difference at all ????) but the shape of the labels look the same - sort of.  Just questioning IF the pattern design on the Label (might) make a difference at all.  I am not sure.  I looked around http://www.the-loschs.com/sigitaly.htm to see if any of the Bird labels, or the . . . . . . . pattern labels there -- but see nothing. 

Hummmm, Interesting.......and nice find with the Mystery label  ;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »
I found a IVR Mazzega bowl that has a dove similar to the one in the label on your vase, so I'll bet your vase is Mazzega. The IVR would let you know that it was made 1950 or later. The link to the bowl is http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2067109. You have to run the magnifying tool (your mouse) over the label to see the dove. Your vase does look similar to a couple I found that were designed by Croce.

Your bird looks like it could be Mazzega or Aureliano Toso to me. So if it has the same label as the vase (which we didn't see), it most likely is Mazzega. IVR Mazzega is a very good company to own.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »
Great sleuthing, Anita!!  I scoured the net without success.  This makes the Mazzega attribution something very close to 100%, and makes my labels most likely the original iteration, from their earliest production (succession was adding Mazegga, then losing the dove from logo altogether).  I'll be sure to add an image of the label to message board labels library.  It is a shame my bird is broken in half (that's how I purchased it; can't blame the cats), but the vase is a cherished piece in the collection.

Many thanks again,
Charles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand