No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this Borske Sklo 'Knobbles' vase please.  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: is this Borske Sklo 'Knobbles' vase please.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
although the base pic. of your green ball vase could have been improved, I think I'm seeing the 'crossed lines' seam from the mould - therefore definitely a Borske mould blown ball vase, and the size agrees with the book.   Sorry, but I'm seeing the other ball as grey......not brown.   Did you mean brown, or perhaps Amber?  -  I'm not so sure that there is a real brown colourway in these pieces.   However, quoting Lustrousstone.......'The only way to perhaps tell if the cross and star versions were made in the same place is to count the top row of knobbles in two items if the same size'....you might also count the total number of horizontal rows of knobbles on each ball.   For what it's worth it may not be of much use putting any value on the slight variation of the rims.    From what I can see, the knobbles on both of these balls appear equally proud, although I could be wrong.
However, in view of the information from mrs. vulture, these 'star' based pices do have a very good chance of being simply generically Bohemian.
At what size do you post your pics. Emmi. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Paul, I think in this instance you mean generically Czech, and not Bohemian.   :)

By the way, is there such a thing as 'generic' Czech glass?

EDIT

So sorry...  looks like I lept before I looked again...

Paul, when you said 'generically Bohemian', you were referring to the 'generic' Glassexport 'Bohemia' label, weren't you?   :-[

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
Hi friends,
here is example of Borské sklo in the very recent and ugly form from this summer, possibly sale of stocks, I hope. So it means that this type of glass was in production also few years ago.

http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/KonecCeskehoSklarstvi?authkey=Gv1sRgCK2U_56akrGg3QE#5487465509234485314

Please focu to different type of Czechoslovakian glass, this Borské is something what I cannot be proud about. :-)

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
1) the "brown" one is definitely more brown than grey, suppose you could define the colour more by calling it "mink brown"?

2) Never thought I'd spend time counting rows and bubbles, but here as follows:

Brown                          Green
11 rows                        15 rows
24 blobs around rim       20 blobs around rim
Internal diameter           Internal diameter of rim 8 cms.
of rim 9 cms
Cross lines on base         Star treatment on base

3)As for picture size.  Don't know I just point and click, I think it is on a the VGA setting and then I load them into Photobucket. The size of the 2 vase pic is 319 x 199 and the size of the base pic is 320 x 158 - is that what you mean?

Well, what do I do now?  Count the grains of sugar in the bowl perhaps? LOL!

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 03:48:58 PM »
Please focu to different type of Czechoslovakian glass, this Borské is something what I cannot be proud about. :-)

Jindrich, they're not THAT bad!  Although I do not have one, I kind of like them because they are tactile... I'd like to rub my fingers over the knobbles.   ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
quote from Anik.........'Paul, when you said 'generically Bohemian', you were referring to the 'generic' Glassexport 'Bohemia' label, weren't you?'...........yes, I was Anik.    But no harm done, you realised in time :), and as for .......'I'd like to rub my fingers over the knobbles'..........I daren't even think of replying to that. >:D   

Emmi........Mink Brown sounds a bit unusual for a Borske piece.....But the point is that in using Christine's suggestion you have shown that your two ball vases originated from two very different moulds, and I suspect that your 'mink brown' vase may well be Bohemian or possibly the more modern 'ugly' Czech production that Jindrich now speaks of.   Certainly Mark Hill refers only to those pieces that have the 'cross' mould seam as being of genuine period Borske origin.   However, you have a very nice pair of vases - trouble is that round things take up a bigger footprint, and when every square centimetre counts, well..........
Someone asked Bette Davis how she acquired here mink coat.........."the same way that mink get mink was the reply".
Why aren't you using 'Irfanview' - it's a free download, and allows very wide variation with picture size.   I am unable to change the size of your pictures in the format you send them, and the first figure of 319/320 is really too small.   It should be 700 pixels for the first number.    Do try the Irfanview download, and think you will then find it really useful, but in the meantime please forget the sugar grains. ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »
I am unable to change the size of your pictures in the format you send them,

That's because Emmi is pasting them in, not attaching them or hosting them elsewhere.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
But the point is that in using Christine's suggestion you have shown that your two ball vases originated from two very different moulds,

Yes, that was the point, I have had the brown one for some time, today I found the green one so thought it was a good opportunity to prove that point.

Why aren't you using 'Irfanview' - it's a free download, and allows very wide variation with picture size.

Because I am quite happy with what I do at the moment, and haven't the brain to change my habits! Is it a problem?  Maybe you need to go to SpecSavers? I don't spend ages in photographing things, so what you see is what you get. I just copy and paste a link from Photobucket and hey presto! Can't teach an old dog new tricks, don't you know :24:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Because I am quite happy with what I do at the moment, and haven't the brain to change my habits! Is it a problem?  Maybe you need to go to SpecSavers?

:spls:  Emmi, I don't think Paul's intention was to criticise you... I believe he was just trying to make a helpful suggestion.  Initially, I didn't realize that your pictures were pasted -- I clicked on the second one because I was interested in having a closer look at the bases and was disappointed when nothing happened. 

And I do have my glasses on (a rare occasion).  :)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
I took it that he was trying to be helpful not a criticism :)  The fact is that the cross on the base of the green vase is very very feint and whatever the size of photo it would not have shown up.

But the fact is I am beyond help regarding photos and learning other systems of loading them here (or elsewhere)  :24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand