No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peace & Plenty jug on eBay - any ideas?  (Read 8153 times)

Offline JimmyBee

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Re: Peace & Plenty jug on eBay - any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 08:03:05 PM »
FAO neilh - I recently acquired a small stack of 5 inch plates/shallow dishes with the John Bright portrait and 'Peace & Plenty' motto with heads of corn. Interestingly, among them was a plate commemorating the Tichborne case which so excited England and Australia in the 1860's & 70's. As with the John Bright plate, there's no maker's marks at all but the overall design, right down to the beaded border, appears so similar that I believe they must be from the same manufacturer.

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Peace & Plenty jug on eBay - any ideas?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 06:46:01 AM »
Yes, I've discussed these plates with collectors over the years and now our favoured attribution is 1870s Greener for both the John Bright and Tichborne plates. Some of my thinking has changed in the 12 years since I started the thread. I note I also said "I believe pressed glass in the UK started in Birmingham in 1831" - I no longer believe that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand