No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Reqd please - waisted decanter  (Read 911 times)

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
ID Reqd please - waisted decanter
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »
I'm keen on picking up what I hope are bargain bits of glass from charity shops and boot sales.  I have found this board and hope you might be able to help me with identification of some of these pieces.  As exhaustive time spend looking at pictures on the internet has got me no-where.  I will post each on a separate thread, and thank you in advance for your time.

The first is this nice cut glass decanter with a pleasing 'waisted' shape.  It has pinwheels and these are separated by what appear to be some sort of narrow pineapple type shapes.  I know nothing about it except it cost me £8 in a charity shop!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: ID Reqd please - waisted decanter
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »
When you post pictures it is always a good idea to post a picture of the base and for vases of the top rim as well.  These guys & gals are amazing.  Prima facie I would guess Bohemia of the 50s or 60s but I would wnat more phtos.  Is the stopper cut as well?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
Hi Ross

Thanks for the advice.  I also gleaned from advice in another thread that my piccies could be improved upon with a dark filling in the clear glass.  After a little experimentation pushed by not wanting to get the decanter wet if I could help it I've resorted to stuffing the things with black ladies stockings.  Do these piccies help any?  N.B. Do you think I'm paying the right sort of cash for my finds too too :-)

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
And the stopper, which is a good fit and sympathetic to the design of the decanter so I am assuming it is an original one.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:46:15 PM »
I would think it is "Bohemia" from the 1960s or 70s era.  I bet it is heavy and it is likely to be 24% lead crystal.  Factory ????  There are so many.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »
Hi Ross

So possibly 24% lead crystal (sorry I don't know huge amounts about this subject - is that a good thing vs. possible other percentages - I assumed that there was just one standard lead crystal glass mix?).  What I can tell you is that if I 'ping' it heavily with my finger nail I get a gorgeous high pitched ring from it, similar to the one I get from some of my glasses which I know are lead crystal, and in complete contrast to ordinary glass items that I've tried which give a very dull sounding ring in comparison.  Heavy - yes, def.  It tips my scales at just about 1.5 Kg without its stopper.  I find its shape very pleasing I've not seen another decanter with a waist like that one when I've searched the internet, and it just seemed to shout quality for the £8 or £10 max I paid for it in the charity shop.  However, that said, how is Bohemia viewed in the glass world, from what I see it's glass being cut fairly well in the Czech republic (or whatever monica it goes under now), but presumably it doesn't hold a candle when compared to Waterford for example?

Julia

What it does do with those pin wheels is stand nicely in my cabinet next to the two brandy balloons that I've pictured in another thread which also have pinwheels

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
The pinwheel design of cut is a very common one, but the shape and quality of this piece make it stand out a bit.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
Sue  8)

And that's with my poor photography (LOL) - I might set up a dark corner as per descriptions on other threads and stick the little compact digital camera on a tripod and see what I can come up with.

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »
Well I couldn't find a tripod, but I think this might be better.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:59:20 PM »
Much better as we can see the shape and the pattern better now!  :hiclp:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia