No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Required please, blue cut through cone shaped decanter  (Read 912 times)

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
ID Required please, blue cut through cone shaped decanter
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:36:42 PM »
My mum bought this one she paid £20 at a general market from a second hand stall.  Again I can find nothing close on the internet - we assume that the mounts are silver, it is a lovely cobalt blue colour cut through to clear (unfortunatley it is a bit fogged inside, but the dark blue hides most of this), any ideas as to ID gratefully accepted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
Re: ID Required please, blue cut through cone shaped decanter
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »
Hi

You say you assume base is silver, is it marked. If it is - look up the mark and it will allow you to date the decanter.

Hazel
Hazel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »
Hi Hazel

I have just had a strong magnifier on the metal bands.  I can't see a silver Hallmark per se, but both top and bottom rim do seem to have a purposeful marking.  It is v. small in both cases.  The top appears have a triangle of three small dots to the upper left hand side of a Capital R and the base has these same three dots in the same position w.r.t. to what seems to be a capital L.  Both top and bottom band have two close set lines which run around the bands and also across these (which is where the other marks are) on approx. the opposite side to the other marks is quite a substantial and positive looking indentation sort of square circle approx 3mm from side to side with a raised centre relative to the punched mark itself.  There are no other marks on the decanter that I can find.

Sorry I know that the above won't help much, but that's all there is.

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »
You're right, not much help but maybe indicates silver plate (has many varied whacky marks) :chky:

A possibility would be  John Walsh Walsh, his pattern book shows quite a few decanters the same shape as yours and he certainly produced both cut and coloured glass of very good quality. Is the stopper a good fit? I'm not sure from your photo whether it is a match.

Hazel
Hazel

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »
Hi Hazel

I'll see about a better piccy of the stopper later.  My gut reaction is that it is original - the cutting of the slopes on the stopper appear to follow the angle of the decanter, and the design is sympathetic to the design of the decanter.  Also it is not a shape of stopper that I think you would readily find available as a replacement and it is difficult to guess what shape it would have been for if not this specific decanter.

I note from looking him up that some JWW items are signed, would you know which mark to look for and a probable location on the item if I went hunting for such a thing with a spy glass please?

N.B.  Just from the design of the thing I'm tempted to guess Art Deco'ish in terms of age - would that fit with JWW?

Thanks

Julia

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
A better picture of the stopper would help.

The marks on Walsh items are very hard to spot! Try taking it out into the garden and looking at the base while turning at various angles. Sometimes I have found them only to doubt my own sanity by struggling to find them again  :phew:

The mark is etched "Walsh" or after 1930 "Walsh England" or it may still be Walsh but be a pre 1926 piece and unmarked.

Good luck.

Hazel
Hazel

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »
Hi Hazel

I haven't had time to go mark spotting yet, but I set up a little area for taking photos tonight and here are some more that might help, inc the stopper.

Julia

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »
Unfortunately I can find no mark on the base of the decanter.  However inspection has led me to notice that the decanter appears to be double skinned - at least on the bottom section.  The base is a clear plate of flat glass, but as you look through it, it is as though there is a clear lining to the decanter and you can see up the side of this to look in at the inside of the the cut through blue/clear outer layer.  I've tried to capture this in the attached photo.  I wondered if anyone had noticed this double layer in a decanter before - its a bit like the layers in a thermos flask.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
Cut to clear is quite common. The blue is a thin layer flashed on the thick clear body. It's definitely nothing like a Thermos flask; that's just an optical illusion.

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »
Hi Christine - I'll take your word for it, but it's a very convincing illusion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand