No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it worth investing to get this decanter professionally restored?  (Read 3633 times)

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
I bought this decanter in the hope that I might find something to shift the 'fogging' it was only £4 and at the very least I've been able to try all sorts of solutions.  I now think its that sort of water fogging which bonds to the top surface of the glass and can't be shifted without being physically polished out - which won't be easy given its shape.  I understand that you can get companies who will have a bash at polishing these things on rollers, but do you think its worth investment as I've no idea what the polishing process could cost?

The base is just plain cuts into the base radiating out from the centre

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Is it worth investing to get this decanter professionally restored?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
You have answered the question, you paid 4 pounds for it decanters are 10 a penny these days unless something special , it will probably cost about 12 to 15 pounds to have polished you will still have a decanter that probably wouldnt fetch a lot , if you have the stopper buy a bottle of your favourite spirit for about 12 pounds and use it you will not see the clouding at all while it is in use then you have saved money and are having a good time .SKOL . JP  You can buy modern stoppers that will fit most decanters for peanuts .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
Hi John

I guess that's not a bad idea  :thup:

I do have a stopper as it came with one that, if not its own, is a good fit it is a faceted sphere with even hexagons all over it.  I must admit I can't see the point in buying a decanter that isn't functional, and I think stopper-less doesn't equal functional.  I quite like decanters as glass objects, some of them have lovely pleasing shapes and they are functional too.  It's funny I tend to think of a ships decanter as being a 'classic' decanter shape, but when I started to look round there were many, many different shapes.  Mind you I'm not keen on the modern plain glass ones they look like little more than old fashioned mens pee bottles LOL

Julia

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
Tip:  Don't wash a decanter then bung the stopper back in it while it's still wet.  It's a good way to get permanent water damage like this one has.   :'(

I am not a man

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »
I have come up with quite a good solution to making sure my decanters are dry following washing - my stove has a glass plate which starts cold and very, very gently gets warmer and warmer.  It's obviously for plates, but I find it very gently and thoroughly warms the decanters with time for the heat to diffuse uniformally through them and it dries them out a treat.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »
The narrow necked varieties will sometimes fit upside down into the cutlery basket from a dishwasher and drain and dry thoroughly. It takes a couple of days to be sure but is a safe way to do it with no heat that could (even when gentle) cause something to crack.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 01:12:59 AM »
If you are using the decanter as a collectible (not filling it with a beverage) simply place 3/4" of 91% Isolpropyl alcohol in the bottom, swirl it around well & empty it. The alcohol displaces any water & evaporates within 2-3 minutes leaving it spotless. Ken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
The best and safest way to dry a decanter properly is to give it a final rinse with distilled water, then to put a "wick" of kitchen paper in it for a couple of days.

I believe lead can leach out of crystal into drinks which are put in it, it's not a good idea to use decanters to store anything you intend to consume.
( :angel: Not that I ever consume that vile and addictive drug, alcohol myself. Not for nearly 20 years. :sm:)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
There is way to bring out the fogginess and dirt  etc etc !
the austrian glass maker " Riedel Glass " offers tiny balls ( 2mm in diameter ) and made od steel - there are a few hundreds in a tiny box - just put these with some water into the decanter - and it will be clear within seconds - you should shake the decanter - i ve made probably thousand times - it always worked perfectly !
thomas
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand