No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ????? lamp base for Borske Sklo Olives hood  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: ????? lamp base for Borske Sklo Olives hood
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
oh gosh  -  goofed again then :-[    I saw this across a crowded boot sale room, and considered that both the 'blue' and the large olives patterning were identical to my other Borske blown large olives vases.      The feel of the olives also seemed 'right'.  Mark Hill's book states lamp shades, but I guess he didn't mean oil lamp shades.    So there you have it......colour, feel, and pattern.... never mind, I think it was only Sterling £0.50, so it can be taken back to the charity shop without any great loss.   thanks to all, especially the cryptographer :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »
Paul, the set of Borske sklo, optical decoration you can find in CGR 1959/11
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/Glasrevue19591112?authkey=Gv1sRgCLzUuOG_8KjEHw#

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
thanks Jindrich  -  and believe you have provided these very useful pictures previously. :)     However, is it possible for you to show me the 'lamp shades' that are mentioned in Mark Hill's book - but do not appear you your link today.?    By the way, some of those lamp worked animal figures are the best I've seen.  Paul S.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »
I found something very simmilar here:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Seltene-Vase-Petrolglas-WMF-Wagenfeld-Design-um-1930-/190397961097?pt=Design_Stil&hash=item2c549a5389

Possibly our German friends could help us to investigate this direction.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:49 AM »
Paul, if I were you, I wouldn't return it to the charity shop!  It's a perfectly beautiful lamp piece even if it isn't Czech.  And, if it is indeed, WMF, then I think it's worth keeping all the more.  

Don't give it back.  PLEASE DON'T.  Find a place for it.  Eventually you may find the missing parts.  Then it will be a wonderful piece to have and perhaps even use.  

Think about it.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »
Jindrich - sincere thanks for your ebay link, and although your 'vase' is similar, I believe the shape of the olives and colourway on my 'lamp hood' are possibly from a different source. :)   Regret also  'meine Deutsch is sehr kleine fur verstehhen' - which is supposed to say that 'Ich habe meine Deutsch vergessen'. :-[ - so I can't quite understand what the text says.    However, I appreciate your point......just that I remain surprised that with the similarity of my 'lamp hood' to my blue Borske 'Olives' vase, there isn't a real connection.  Never mind, as you suggest maybe someone with more German knowledge will recognize this little hood.

all my life wimmin have pushed me around - telling me what to do - and I come here to the GMB for a little peace and quiet, and what do I get but "don't get rid of this - don't get rid of that".........Anik, I'm only kidding :-*....for you, especially, I will keep it always, I promise. :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
Dear, that did seem a little bossy on my part.  I've obviously no right to tell you or anyone else what to keep or not keep.  :-[

Pardonne moi.  :kissy:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »
quote today from Anik.......'Dear, that did seem a little bossy on my part.  I've obviously no right to tell you or anyone else what to keep or not keep'.  ..........forget it kid, you're doing great, just be yourself. ;)..   However, I still would like the rest of my lamp, whatever its origin. ;D

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 06:26:43 PM »
Concerning that ebay-auction:
It´s absolutely unnecessary to understand anything from it, because it´s complete humbug. This vase surely isn´t
Wagenfeld, appears 60´s rather than 30´s - anything´s simply made up. I can´t perfectly rule out that it might be
WMF as this is a colour they used intensely, but that would simply be a fluke in this description I suppose.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand