No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue pressed glass vase - Skrufs or Walther. ID= Georgshütte / Boffzen  (Read 10216 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
I've seen this blue vase (first picture) described as Skrufs, Lars Hellsten designer, a few times, so it wasn't high on my list to confirm, but recently Dirk cast some reasonable doubt on that by remarking it looked a lot like some pressed Walther vases.

I've actually acquired one of the similar Walthers (second picture, clearly labeled as Walther), so I could compare a bit. While I agree the idea of the blue seems similar, I also see differences. The size and the general shape are different, and the finish is quite different (for instance, while they both have a square rim, the Walther rim is flat, while the blue rim is not. Also, the Walther has pressed lines on the side that are more pronounced and different than the blue, whose press marks are very vague.

However, I think it's a good opportunity to ask for a few that are a bit more at home with Skrufs how well documented the blue is as a Skrufs vase?

I have more detailed photographs of the rim and the base available if anyone thinks that would make it easier.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Blue pressed glass vase - Skrufs or Walther
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »
Sorry about being pedantic but it is Skruf not Skrufs. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11786

I would be surprised if the blue one was made by Skruf, everything I have seen that they made seemed to be of better quality than your vase. Can you post the photos showing the rim and base please?

John

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
It appears I forgot to take a base shot at the time I made pictures of the blue vase... this is what I currently have. It's dark over here now, so I can't take additional pictures at the moment.

I'm sure quality is an issue, but I've seen high quality Walther pressed crystal as well that looked a lot better than the purple vase, so the fact that a factory made good quality pieces doesn't exclude them from also having lower quality ranges. Don't know of course if Skruf (sorry about the name) had several different quality lines like Walther.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:34:34 PM »
At first I thought it was quite roughly made, now I am not so sure.

There is one for sale on ebay, scroll down for a photo of the base: http://cgi.ebay.nl/Retro-Art-Glass-Vase-by-Lars-Helsten-for-Skruf-Sweden-/290463226447?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item43a0f51a4f

John

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
Yes, the one on ebay is the same one (and another one attributed to Skruf - Lars Hellsten I notice). The Walther one is in my opinion more roughly made than the blue one. The blue one is pressed glass, not crystal, but the details are not bad at all.

Given that so many people give the same attribution, I was wondering if it was mentioned in a glass book?

Astrid

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »
It's not in any of the books I have here but you are in good company, one author uses Skrufs instead of Skruf.

No luck finding one by googling and when I tried searching images one of those presented was one of my own photos from GlassGallery. ::)

John

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:34:44 AM »
I'm quite sure I've seen 4 or 5 different attributions to Skruf, Lars Hellsten (but I don't know of course now independent these were). The first one I can remember was at the Whitefriars site in the category 'it's not Whitefriars'. I haven't seen this particular vase attributed to anyone else so far.

And I've seen the same name attached to other pieces in what is obviously the same series by sellers (like here: http://antiek-kunst.marktplaats.nl/antiek-glas-en-kristal/370231929-lars-hellsten-skruf-zweden-vaas-blauw.html.

The reason why I'm hesitant about attributing it to Walther is also that Walther usually puts paper labels on the glass from that period, so if it was a Walther vase, a few labeled ones would have turned up by now and I would have expected to find conflicting attributions online for both Skruf and Walther, as happened with the Walther solifleurs that were described in at least one book as Pukeberg - I still find a mix of Walther and Pukeberg attributions for those. But I've never seen a different attribution for this blue vase so far.

I just want to make sure I'm not proclaiming it to be Skruf if it isn't and that way spreading the wrong word...

Astrid

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:33:31 AM »
The mistaken identities section of 'is it Whitefriars?' (on Whitefriars.com) is not to be trusted. Attributions there often need to be taken with a pinch of salt, some are quite laughable but in their defence, may reflect the state of knowledge at the time.

You can always contact a seller and ask them about their attributions and what evidence they have for them. By all means think of it as possibly Skruf, without some good evidence though, 'looking similar too' or X, Y or Z said so, is not enough. The internet enables all of us to quickly and easily propagate information, whether it is right or wrong. These little vases/pots are a classic example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sklo-Union-Glass-Lens-Vase-Frantisek-Vizner-1960s-/250694197891?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item3a5e89e283

They were made in Japan in various colours (I have seen several with made in Japan labels on them, they are well documented on this board too), this sellers description goes a little further, it appears they are now part of the 'Lens' range. ::) How many sellers will copy that if it sells for a good price?

For what it's worth (not a lot) I don't think your blue vase 'looks like' Skruf' but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

John

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »
The mistaken identities section of 'is it Whitefriars?' (on Whitefriars.com) is not to be trusted. Attributions there often need to be taken with a pinch of salt, some are quite laughable but in their defence, may reflect the state of knowledge at the time.

You are right...........I was trawling through recently and found some horrendous mis attributions.  Also some photos of items do not match up with the item under discussion which I think occurred when the site was badly hacked a few years go.

As I can edit conclusions in that particular area, I do from time to time have a session of attempting to put things right.

I can't change the photos but I can add new comments and conclusions which is better than nothing.  So if you come across any which need "tidying" up, do email me with the link and I'll try put it right .

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »
I would sooner attribute your blue vase to Oberglas than to a quality maker like Skruf - or even Walther. :ooh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand