No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed Glass Roses Plate/Charger ID Help Please  (Read 2283 times)

Offline meegs

• Members
Pressed Glass Roses Plate/Charger ID Help Please
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »
Good Evening Everyone,
I'm looking for help identifing this charger/plate.
I thought I had this IDed as Jobling Rose Number 10000 (from looking at 20thcenturyglass.com ) but now after much scrutiny I do not think this is an example of the above pattern.
The similarities are this charger/plate stands on 3 rose bloom feet and is decorated with entwined leaves; but the foliage is quite different to the above pattern. The underside is satin/acid etched and the topside is polished. There is a reasonable amount of wear to the feet.
The piece is 2 1/4 inches high and the diameter is just a smidgen under 12 inches. I would estimate the weight to be around 1 kilo (or over 2 pounds)

Cheers
Meegs :hb1:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Pressed Glass Roses Plate/Charger ID Help Please
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
I think you're right. Mueller might be a good bet; they were very keen on realistic roses.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 10:38:02 AM »
Could it be early Waltherglas?  I've got three matching pieces with realistic roses on that are done in a similar way (though it would be a different pattern - mine is Natascha) which I have identified as early Waltherglas from a different factory (Germany) to their more modern pieces - the colour is similar too.  The earlier pieces have very lifelike flowers on them.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:55:59 AM »
That's not an Auguste Walther & Sohne pattern I've come across. Where did you get your ID from?

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »
Christine

I didn't I was only looking at the design similarity in style and the way it was done to pieces that I already have and know and making a tentative comparison.

Sorry if that's not allowed. :cry:

When I said matching pieces, I meant that the three I had matched, not that they matched the piece being enquired about.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:28:52 PM »
Don't be daft. I was just wondering where you got the ID for your Walther pieces from.

I've given my thoughts on the one in question.

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
I'm revising my ID, my bits are Rosella, t'internet had a poor link in it - I've found a different picture of a piece and the box it came from and that clearly says Rosella

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rosella-pink-glass-bowl-mikasa-walther-glass-w

I like the Walther glas pieces and was at a boot sale the other week a lady let me have Rosella torte plate, a large oval shaped Rosella plate/bowl and the double relish/bonbon dish for a grand total of £8!  I think I prefer them to the more modern pieces like the Satin Roses.

However, I already have a pink Satin Roses bowl, a clear/white satin roses heart shaped bonbon dish and a Toska cake stand (I'm happy with the ID of Toska as it came boxed).

The piece in this thread looks to have been made using a similar technique

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »
Your Walther-Glas pieces are modern ( http://www.waltherglas.de/waltherglas4/Start_EN/start_home.html ). I thought you were talking Auguste Walther & Sohne. Meegs piece is probably 1930s/40s

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »
That's right, but apparently even the 1980/90's pieces are older and discontinued from those still made today and I think were from a different factory.  Although it is probably already known on here I found the Walther glass you mean on this link http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/mc/walther/list.htm.  What makes you feel the piece in this thread is that old?  I look at my Rosella 'modern' pieces and they have a very retro feel to them - could easily be early 1960's yet aren't.

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 07:51:32 PM »
Thank-you Christine, :)
I'll start looking for references re: Mueller, as I know nothing about this maker (although I have seen the odd beautiful piece attributed to them on e-bay) and assume they were a German company.
The detail and quality of finish are very fine and it is one of those pieces I can't keep my hands off as it is quite silky to touch. Looking down on the piece the  intensifying colour as the glass gets thicker on the feet/blooms give the roses a lovely depth.
Meegs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand