No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clichy/Baccarat something along those lines Amberina vase  (Read 839 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Clichy/Baccarat something along those lines Amberina vase
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:57 AM »
Hello all  I am rather hoping someone could kindly help id this beautiful amberina vase please.  It stands at just over 20cm tall with a down turned crimped rim with nipped up piece (please excuse my terminology).  The body feels smooth on the outside but to the naked eye it has wide vertical ribbing which can also be felt on the inside.  There is air bubbles in the glass and the base is smooth with tons of age related wear and a smooth polished pontil.  The vase seems to lean a little bit and the orangey red in the body does have streak marks to it.
If anyone has a clue please.  I consider this piece to be very old probably about 1910ish but could be wrong and the vendor did say it was either clichy or baccarat but would appreciate help from the knowledgeable collectors on this board.
Thanks
Margi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: Clichy/Baccarat something along those lines Amberina vase
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:16:18 PM »
Not suggesting it is but I've seen North American amberina vases that looked similar.  Some pieces with the bulbous base, some with the turned crimped rim with the 'nipped up piece' :).  Unfortunately I don't recall seeing anything recently that had both features simultaneously.  The yellow to red transition all seemed to be more gradual in the pieces I recall seing than what yours shows. 

Being on your side of the pond though I suspect yours is probably closer to home.
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts I do think it is from this side of the water but I really appreciate your thoughts.  I do believe it to be European but where/what/who goodness knows.

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:20:03 PM »
Being where I am I don't have a lot of first hand exposure to Clichy or Baccarat (other than crystal) blown glass but personally I don't think i trust the vendor's guess.
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »
Sorry i have no idea but Clichy and Baccarat are the last names i would think of . :ooh:

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
no need to hide behind the sofa :24:
I agree it probs isn't either of the suggested.  It is a quality piece but I myself have no idea.  I normally can spot the baccarat from afar - today I spotted a rose teint piece of baccarat the only problem was it was 75euros  :thud: out of my league.
Please keep your thoughts coming. 

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »
So far I have found this with a similar bulbous base number    400125091894 (ebay US)
and this with a similar but not the same rim http://www.malleries.com/antique-amberina-glass-vase-i-5173-s-89.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand