No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: English 1950's/1960's bowl help please  (Read 989 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
English 1950's/1960's bowl help please
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:16 AM »
Good morning all

I have purchased this bowl there was also a large pitcher that matched but did not get that.  It is satinised glass with a blue feathering pattern. Standing on a darker base with a rather unfinished not so pleasant pontil.  Does anyone recognise this please.  Purchased from an English couple, who said it was at least 50 years old and she remembers it being around the lincolnshire/norfolk area.

Many thanks
Margi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: English 1950's/1960's bowl help please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:36:47 AM »
I dont like to say but i think it is modern you see a lot in the UK in repro shops it may be Turkish . :ooh: or Spanish .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »
Hmmm will bare that in mind but I do trust the source they are known people to me.  Please keep the thoughts coming.  The sofa has been used a couple of times on me now I think I may be slipping backwards.  Stop shopping girl and get back in the  :sun:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:19:49 AM »
Hi Margi maybe someone told them Porkies ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
I have a bowl in this colour and a very similar finish which has a quite an odd label as I remember.  I'll go dig it out and check the label. But I have to say the glass colour and finish look incredibly similar.  Mine doesn't have blue lines in it but does have an applied plum coloured type decoration round it.  I like it personally and use it at Christmas for sweeties but other than that I felt sure it was not expensive glass.  Mine also has been rubbed at the back and the satin finish has come off on close inspection although you wouldn;t realise when just looking at it casually.  I get the feeling if I scrubbed it the finish would come off completely.  
Right, got it - my label says 'Atlas Star Ltd' (which is a bit odd, unless it is a UK importer perhaps??)on it and has a picture above it of two face to face horses.  The pontil on mine is snapped off and not ground completlely but definitely smoothed over and finished ok.  
no camera at mo, but will try and see if I took photos previously.
m

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
Thanks M,
I would really appreciate a pic if you get chance.  Have tried rubbing at the satin and mine doesnt come off.  Seems a bit of a mystery this one.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »
Goodness Margi don't rub the surface of your vase, mine is already rubbed and I have no problem with it getting more scratched, but yours isn't.  Without handling it it is difficult but your pictures make it look as if it is very similar to mine - it looks slightly 'oily' satin finish if ykwim?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »
pics h/w  - I just googled Atlas Star Ltd again and got a listing of a giftware company in Surrey - no details came up though but it registered.   Surbiton, 2 Oak Hill , KT6 6DY, Surrey.

m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 12:54:37 AM »
I'm with John - I doubt the English attribution.

Bought in England maybe, and not likely to be fifty years ago, either I'm afraid, since I am sure that it is much younger than that. There could be all sorts of explanations about why your reliable source says what they do, ranging from the perfectly ordinary right through to sinister. Most likely to be a crossed wire somewhere along the history of ownership, which happens all the time in my experience  :o

Nigel

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »
Mallorca again. Could well be as early as the 1980s but not much before...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand