No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ultima Thule-ishness - ID help  (Read 691 times)

Offline Flypogger

• Members
Ultima Thule-ishness - ID help
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »
Howdy! I have had this laying around for a while, on the mystery shelf, and was wondering if anyone could help! It has kind of an ultima thule thing going on - its 5.5 inches tall and 9.875 inches across. I know that everyone and their isoƤiti made a knockoff, but I've never seen a bowl this large. Any ideas? Thanks!   Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Ultima Thule-ishness - ID help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
Pete could you make your pics larger please? They're not enlarging enough to be able to see clearly. If you make the longest side around 700pixels they should be a good size. Ta. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Flypogger

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:59:04 PM »
Thanks Anne! It keeps saying that the files are too big, so here's an attempt at an external link - fingers crossed!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:57 AM »
At first glance it looks ok but on closer inspection maybe not. There looks to be a green tint to the glass, the pattern on the side does not look dense enough and the bobbles on the base look to be too uniform.

These are the only Thule bits I have, compare the base of your bowl with the base of the glass lying on it's side: http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/ScandinavianGlass#5511635898178185906

I did not know that imitations have been made, maybe this is one, maybe not. :-\

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
The sides look right, the green tint doesn't and the base looks completely wrong.

The feet bumps on my shot glasses are around the same size in circumference as the biggest of the randomly sized and very lumpy base blobby bits.
On my carafe, which has a much bigger circumference, (5") the random base blobs are a bit bigger, and the feet a good bit bigger.
I still don't think it would look like your bit, expanded again for the circumference.

The bases are not flat - they're curved, and the blobs which aren't feet, still stick out a lot.
Pic soon.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Flypogger

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »
The greenishness may be accentuated by the photo - I upped the contrast to make the details stand out - but the bottom is much flatter then Ultima Thule.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 12:17:34 PM »
Can anyone remember - the old cnexpot.com site full of chinese glass definitely included some Iittala-inspired pieces. Might this be one of those? Unfortunately they pulled that site down - parts of it are still available on The Wayback Machine, but the images were a bit flaky.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand