No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Compote  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard Compote - Old Topic, New Thread...
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 03:41:39 AM »
Edit: Information after this was posted in a seperate thread after the previous posts had been archived. The two threads have since been merged. Thanks Frank.

I did start a thread about this design  over a year ago, but it's either vanished into the ether or is carefully evading the search facility.  ::)

But back then I bought a compote with a job-lot of Holmegaard pieces, and I was fairly sure it was Holmegaard - as was Ivo, who said that it was almost certainly Per Lutken, circa early 1960s but didn't have any paper evidence to back it up at the time.

Well, hurrah, I found another one with its original pre-65 label, although it's as frustratingly unsigned as my other one.

Compote

I'm just wondering if anyone's stumbled across any new information or has seen something similar elsewhere over the last 12+ months. I've only ever seen two of these in my time, and I own both of them!  ???

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Compote - Old Topic, New Thread...
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:54:18 AM »
Ironically - I couldn't find the old thread because it got archived...  ;D

Old topic retrieved and new data merged - Moderator

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 01:44:15 AM »
Whilst looking for something else entirely (as is often the case), I came across a drinkware set on Replacements called 'Danish Hunter', which bears a striking resemblance to the shape of my compote:

Replacements - Danish Hunter

It doesn't really show on my photos but there is a knop on the stem of my compote (a lot higher up than on the drinking glasses) which almost blends into the bowl - but the shape of the knop bears more than a passing resemblance to the one in Replacements' illustrations.

Trouble is, I've Googled 'Danish Hunter', and it only brings results from Replacements-related sites. Does anyone know this range by a different name so I can look into it further?

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 01:56:11 AM »
My gosh, I've got one of those in a box somewhere, Nic. Be patient though - it's somewhere in the garage from hell...

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 02:22:17 AM »
Thanks for that. There's probably no need for a great garage hunt, though - a bit of further poking around in Holmegaard tableware has turned up that this is a fairly common shape from the early 1900s onwards so Danish Hunter and the compote probably aren't related.  ???

Still, it's always nice to know that you can ask the most obscure of questions on here and someone almost always has the correct answer.  :)

If you do happen to stumble across the glass & box - please do post the range name here.  :)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 02:25:06 AM »
Stems are quite different anyway, Nic.
Cheers!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard (?) Bowl...
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 02:38:17 AM »
I know, but I was hoping that the overall style might be specific to one period and so that looking into Danish Hunter might lead me to an approximate date for the compote.

Alas not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand