No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy glass vase - help with id please - Murano?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline heron

• Members
Heavy glass vase - help with id please - Murano?
« on: September 29, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
Hi
Help in ID of this heavy glass vase please - do not know much about this vase but it is very heavy approx 2kg and 7" high. The colouring is all in the lower part with various shades of blue, green, amber and red. The rim is very thick 0.3" and near the bottom there are three bulges and three depressions as shown in attachment 3 (view from underside). The base has a highly polished concave pontil mark and is flat ground outside this. From the scratches on the base I believe there to be some age to it. Thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Heavy glass vase - help with id please - Murano?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:29 PM »
heron:

It seems more Czech to me than Murano. It has some similarities to Zemek's 'Rhapsody' line, although I've never seen a 'Rhapsody' piece with that form.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:11:14 AM »
Looks more Czech to me too.  Btw, Heron, can I congratulate you on your excellent photographs!    :hiclp:

I am not a man

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:15:30 AM »
For me it looks Chinese, Romanian, Ukranianan or what :-)

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskloslovenskesklo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:15 AM »
Looks like a relative of this one
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35861.0.html

For me it looks Chinese, Romanian, Ukranianan or what :-)

It might be, but looks a lot better made and designed than much of the stuff from these countries

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:32:11 AM »
The colours seemed a bit off for standard Czech colours, but the wear on the base persuaded me it must have a decent amount of age...

I am not a man

Offline heron

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
Hi
Thanks for all the inputs and pointing me in the direction of Czech glass. I have done a little internet research and the design does show some similarity to Chribska Joseph Hospodka designs  but I am certain this will quickly be ruled out - I understand that there were a lot of Czech copies produced - any more info would be appreciated.
Thanks again

Offline heron

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:34:25 PM »
Hi
Thanks for input on Zemeks Rhapsody range which certainly has similarities. I have googled it but this does not look to be one of the common shapes. I now see that without label or signature it becomes very difficult to ID this type of vase.
Cheers

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »
I have another one here that I think might be the same origin. Initially thought of relatively modern Chribska when I bought it, but now I think it hails from those inspired by the Chribska designs.

Apart from Jindrich not recognizing it - the colour of the top clear part of the glass is very yellow-grey compared to the other known Chribska pieces I have. It may not show that much in the photograph, but I see the difference quite clearly. In addition to that yellow greyish look of the clear glass, it has some bubbles and minor imperfections. But despite that it looks quite nice with the colours nicely flowing into each other.

Mine also has some wear at the base, but not that much. 80s or 90s would be quite possible, and I'm inclined to think of Rumania, Poland or China as well, or maybe a smaller copycat factory somewhere. Does the grey-yellow colour of the glass ring a bell perhaps, or could that be a result of the mixing of the colours?

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline heron

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »
Thanks astrid for posting the picture of your vase which certainly appears to be of the same origin and looking at my vase again the clear glass  has a grey tinge to it although I don't think there is any yellow. It may be a mixing of the colours but suspect it may just be the clarity of the glass.
I have now learnt a little more about Czech glass and the look-alikes from other sources.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand