No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hoping this bowl colour is real amethyst.  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Hoping this bowl colour is real amethyst.
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »
having recently made a faux pas with what I thought was deliberate purple glass - I am submitting the attached picture in the belief that this bowl is a genuine amethyst colour  -  but, of course, I may still be wrong. :)  Diameter is 5.5"/about 140mm - and with a good quality flat, ground, outer rim to the base (similar to older pieces - although there is not a great deal of wear to this bowl).   I think the colour is beautiful, and feel it must be genuine, so would appreciate anyone's opinion please (or hopefully an attribution and confirmation).    Thanks for looking.   Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Hoping this bowl colour is real amethyst.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:49:41 AM »
 :hi: Paul S.

I know nothing about your bowl, but I am wondering *IF* it could be what they call SUN PURPLE ?
http://www.patternglass.com/sunpurple.htm

The only reason (why I think that) is that I thought (??????????????) Real Amethyst color in glass is quite a bit darker.  Now, this is coming from me -- SO please take that with a grain of salt because I am merely thinking-out-loud here   LOL    .....and not really sure about what I even just said  :24: ;D :24:

So this is just a WILD guess here -- that maybe the glass is Sun Purple....but ask someone with way (way, way, way) more knowledge than me.....

:ooh:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:28:13 AM »
It does look like sun purple to me too.   :-\   It's not a bad thing...people collect sun purpled glass.  I think I sold some Fostoria once like that and when I sold it, it achieved more than usual.

I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »
Rose and Max, thanks, but no, no, you've got it all wrong  -  surely it has to be amethyst - it looks so 'right' and the colour is delicate and pale  -  there isn't a darkening to the glass like what my candlestick was showing ;)     But seriously, the problem with this bowl, is that whilst the ground outer foot rim would indicate it is an 'oldish' piece, the whole thing lacks wear, and so I'm somewhat confused, but the tint really is colourful.   I will have to go through Pamela's photo gallery again, as I would like to find a name or an attribution for it.
Correction to the wording of my opening lines, which should have read............"a faux pas with what I thought was real amethyst glass"...............

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »
I think Paul is right. This looks mid 20th century piece (post War, pre-modernisation) to me, perhaps from a company like VSL or one of the Sklo Union companies.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:48:40 AM »
 :hi: Paul

Inwald BAROLAC range by R. Schrötter # 12484 A (inward rim) or B (outward rim)  :mrgreen:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »
also in Marcus' book CD Rudolfova before 1958 page 32  ;)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »
thank you so much Christine and especially Pamela  -- always embarrassing when it appears in books that I actually possess. :-[
So, what produces the amethyst colour in this instance please. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
Try your UV light on it, and you may have the answer, but there are undoubtedly several other options.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:56:11 AM »
I'm sure there was once such a desire for sun-purpled glass that some crooks in the states were deliberately setting pieces out on the roofs of buildings in bright sunshine to accelerate the process and boost sales.
Sorry, I can't remember where I heard that, I'm pretty sure it was here, in a long discussion.
It may be in the Archives, given there was a lot of interesting stuff came out in that thread.  :thup:

ta-da!

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,515.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand