No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for quality pint tumbler  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for quality pint tumbler
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »
not perhaps the most exciting of pieces, but a real beauty of a quality tumbler when compared to the biscuit thick chunky jobs we drink from in a pub nowadays.    standing at 6"/150mm  -  unmarked, but with a very sharply cut attractive star base, and blown very thin with a long lasting 'ding'.   Appreciate it might be from anywhere, but was there some reason/purpose in producing tumblers with this sort of quality, and would anyone like to take a punt at age for me.    It does have a fair amount of base wear, which makes me think it may well be at least 60 -70 old.       Lastly, can anyone recommend a good book for C19 - C20 drinking glasses in general.    Thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ming

• Members
Re: id request for quality pint tumbler
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:52:05 AM »
Hi Paul
I am one of the funny one who also collects Tumblers. There is a cheap book (about £3) from the glass museum about tumblers. It's called "Glass Tumblers 1700-1900 by John A. Brooks. Good reference for tumblers.
Your pint glass was made between 1910-1930s. It is not a pub glass as pub glass at the time would has the capacity marking by the government. I have a glass just like your with the star base cutting with hop and barley engraved on the bowl and also with initials. If you like l can put a photo here later.

Ming
Never walk away from a bargain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »
thanks Ming    -    and yes, I would appreciate seeing a pic. of your tumbler engraved with the hops/barley/initials, and thanks for your age indication of 1910/30 for mine.   I have a source for cheap but good glasses which are a general mixture from the second half C19 thru to mid C20  -  and which always includes a few of the usual government capacity marked thickish pint tumblers that are, as you say, quite common  -  but this one is certainly a bit special, and I think is a really great quality piece of glass.    So if this example is not a 'pub' glass, where then was its home  -  a private residence perhaps??              I assume you mean Broadfield House, when you refer to the 'glass museum' - am I correct?   Anyway, I will certainly get a copy - I had not heard of the book previously.
I have acquired quite a lot of wine/port/sherry/champagne 'type' glasses over the past few years, although I notice that books on glasses are usually concerned with the C18 and earlier (or at least prior to Victoria's reign) - and I don't think I have too many of those.    Ideally, I need some literature on late C18 and thru most of the C19.  thanks again. :) 

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:10:21 AM »
Paul
Here are the photos of my glass ,6 inches high.
Miller's Glass Buyer's Guide is good for Victorian glasses but not much good for 20thc glass .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:38:43 AM »
wow, that's a cracker, and what lovely wheel engraving :mrgreen: :mrgreen:   I' going to order the tumbler book today from Broadfield House, along with a few other bits and pieces, and possibly the Miller's that you mention.   thanks again :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »
Forgot to say, if that's Poole in the background, then you really do have good taste. ;)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
Does the book give any indication of difference in size of Champagne and Soda tumblers? ½pt and 1 pt being obvious...

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
The Glass Tumblers book is good as a reference book for tumblers. It gives all the infor with photos on all different period up to 1900. So when you pick up a tumbler you know roughly the years of manufacturing. I find it very useful and its cheap. But the book does not have anything on pub glass.

The best glass book l find is 20th century British Glass by Charles R. Hajdamach. Lot of photos and infor but expensive over £40. Nice Christmas present if you have not got one.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »
thanks Ming - I have Hajdamach's volume on the C19 period - but not his more recent offering, so will put that down as a hopeful Christmas present.    Do you consider that John A. Brooks book would answer Frank's question??     Must admit that I would never have considered that Champagne would have been drunk from a half pint tumbler - although guess it could be enjoyable ;D       I have now ordered the tumbler book from Broadfield House, so am looking forward to having a good read. :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 03:35:48 PM »
S & W offered tumblers in 4 sizes ½pt, 1pt, Soda and Champagne but give no indication of sizes on last two.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand