No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large satin glass bowl - studio or something else?  (Read 639 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Large satin glass bowl - studio or something else?
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
I want to give this to a friend for her birthday and would like to tell her something about it but I've not managed to find anything at all and been searching for a good while (and now running out of time), so I wondered if someone had spotted it or similar on their travels on the net.
It is satinised all over, but then looks as if the base has been ground after it was satinised, to make it sit absolutely flat.  The ground area of the base is matt but the rest of the bowl including the pontil area are sheeny satin.  The pontil mark has been finished immaculately into a little circular raised area but completely smooth.  The rim is fire polished and just very slightly uneven all the way round.

It is 19.5cm wide by 13cm high, so quite large.  Any thoughts welcomed :)  Is it a studio piece do you think?
Many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large satin glass bowl - studio or something else?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
gentle bump and little time left as friend arriving this evening  ;D  does anyone think this might have been made by Adrian Sankey? I found a bowl whilst searching that appears to be a similar shape although not satin glass and not as large.  I have also found  a satin glass bowl by him but not the same shape or technique, so he has done some satin glass pieces.
many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
Worth a trawl through Adrian's archive catalogues - he now only makes glass lighting, but has kept the info about earlier designs online here: http://www.glassmakers.co.uk/archive/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
thank you Anne - I had gone through those and found one that looked similar in shape. 
It's a gorgeous bowl whatever and she loved it so I'm happy.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand