No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass bead necklace -- date? origin? (Jablonex?)  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Glass bead necklace -- date? origin? (Jablonex?)
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
huh.....these continental birds again..........stringing a bloke along (forgive the pun).    Whatever, Anik, I've given up on beads, just a millstone around your neck anyway. ;)    I'm sure you are right, it was too late last night, my brain wasn't really working.
today I had a better try of my contacts, after the boot sale......put them in, and started washing today's finds.   Trouble is anything nearer than three feet is a f....... blur.         Oh, well.......they are o.k. provided I don't need to see details :cry:  where's the keyboard...........

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Glass bead necklace -- date? origin? (Jablonex?)
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 02:36:30 PM »
I just wanted to add that these types of beads are available at Amazon.com.  They are Czech glass beads made to resemble minerals. 

The beads are fire polished:  "Fire Polished beads are glass beads that are faceted by machine. The edges and surface are then given a softer, polished look by placing the beads in hot ovens or over open flames. By virtue of this process, Fire Polished beads are all slightly different from each other; this adds to their charm. Unlike Austrian faceted crystals, Fire Polished beads contain no lead. It is the heat polishing process that gives them their soft glow and brilliance. Colors and finishes may vary from dye lot to dye lot, so it is best to buy sufficient beads for your project all at one time."  (Amazon.com)

See here for an example:  http://www.amazon.com/Czech-Polish-Glass-Beads-Hematite/dp/B000SMW4QS/ref=sr_1_45?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1288017074&sr=1-45

My necklace is Czech.  Koniec, kropka. :angel:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand