No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: W/Fs optically ribbed bucket vase  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
W/Fs optically ribbed bucket vase
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »
The shape seems to be 8886 - but in the W/Fs.com catalogues I can only find this shape in ribbon trailed.   Seems these 3 horizontal internal ribbed things may have been a little thin on the ground to start with.   This one is 8" tall, and unfortunately some water staining which I think is going to be stubborn to move.   I don't see this in Leslie Jackson  -  is it shown in the other book, and do I just call it '8886 with internal optic horizontal ribbing'.  thanks for looking. :) 

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: W/Fs optically ribbed bucket vase
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:47:26 PM »
It's not Whitefriars - this colour isn't one of theirs, especially when cased in clear.

Stevens & Williams might be a possibility, or it might be something more contemporary.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »
Yep not W/Fs

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:12:22 AM »
Got one similar Paul,I thought it might have been WF's(told otherwise) did wonder about S&W's.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 09:14:54 AM »
The WF's 8886 ribbon trailed vase isn't anywhere near as flared at the top as yours is Paul.  Quite different in shape really http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass-archives/british-glass-1/showitem-WFRUBY-TRAILBP.aspx

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
ohhhh......bums  -  thought I might have been right this time.  ahh well, another learning curve I guess.   On reflection, the blue is far to OTT, but what really put me on the wrong track are the three internal horizontally opticaly moulded ridges.  There is quite a lot of base wear in fact, enough to put it back into the forties or fifties quite possibly - and the pointil is such a beautifully circular polished shape.      Thanks to all for your help  -  I wonder if Nigel Benson might be able to offer some advice. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand