No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Inwald 'Lord' range Celery  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: possible Inwald 'Lord' range Celery
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
I was just wondering why Paul's vase is shorter than the catalogue size...  is it Inwald, pattern number 7604? 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:20:50 AM »
Paul has a mis-match in his sizes... he says his is " 7.25"/172mm tall " but according to Google's converter, 172 millimetres = 6.77165354 inches (or near enough 6¾") not 7.25" (more properly 7¼"). 7¼" is a smidgen over 184mm, so, methinks we need Paul to confirm what size his vase actually is. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 11:40:28 AM »
Anne - my sincere apologies for the conversion error :-[.........I have a very high tech. method of going from metric to imperial (or vice versa)..........I stick my thumb nail on the steel ruler at the metric point, and then simply turn the ruler over to read off the imperial, and usually works reliably.   However, obviously I have made a mistake with this one.    I am at work presently, but will re-measure this evening, and let you know the result.
P.S.  I would not say that Anik gives the impression 'more often than not' that she is a blunt pencil - quite the opposite, I sense an intelligent and enquiring mind i.e. perhaps a 4H. ;) 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
I have re-measured the height of my example and the result (using calipers) is  -  184mm/7.25". :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »
Paul, thank you for re-measuring.

So is 6mm an acceptable or 'normal' difference from the catalogue size?  And how can a piece of pressed glass be 6mm taller or shorter than other pieces of the same model?  It doesn't make sense. :spls:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 12:27:32 PM »
Sorry, can't really explain the reason for this anomaly.    A difference of 1 - 2mm might be an acceptable variation when considering pressed utility items - particularly older pieces.   However, 6mm (if that is what it is) does seem rather extreme.       In a large factory/works environment, it may well have be that there was more than one mould for a particular pattern - and if this were so then different moulds may well have given rise to a variation on this sort of scale.   Of course there is always the possibility of human error - after all just look at my mistake when quoting the height initially. :cry:   

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
I'd assume that a glassworks such as Inwald would have more than one mould for a particular pattern.  But wouldn't these moulds have been made from a master mould?  :-\  I still don't see/understand what would account for a 6mm difference in a pressed glass piece.

I wonder if anyone else has a 7604 vase?  It would be nice to know the exact measurement of another 'live' piece.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
While the vase is pressed, it looks like it may have been flanged (flared) at the rim. This would have been achieved by opening out the top when the glass was hot. Vases with flared rims can vary in height considerably depending on how wide the rim was flanged - obviously the wider the rim, the shorter the vase. This may explain the difference in height.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »
thanks Steven  -  sounds like a very real possibility.       The business of making the metal moulds is another interesting aspect of the process of glass making -and time served pattern makers existed pre1940/50 in their tens of thousands - although now sadly almost all gone.   It's a wonderful experience to visit a foundry and see the many shapes of wooden patterns hanging on walls that once made everything from train wheels to the smallest of castings - all from sand impressions.     Since the wooden patterns were known for their accuracy then it is more than likely that the variation was created when the glass was still hot.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand