No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Horrid posy bowl -- and I thought I was getting something special  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I purchased this posy bowl, thinking I was getting something 'special' -- I won't embarrass myself by saying which glassworks I thought it came from, but I will say the seller's photos made it look very attractive.  For a buy-it-now price of 25PLN, I thought I was getting myself a wonderful bargain.  Plus, I was the very first 'viewer' before clicking the 'buy' button.  Oh dear.  :spls:

Before I let it move on to a new home, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what glassworks it does come from.  It's 115mm high and I don't know what the grid would have looked like.  Though it obviously has got some age to it, the quality of the piece is sad.  The coloured glass bits can be seen and felt, as if they didn't melt as well as they should have into the body. 

Thank you for your help.  Please be gentle with me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Horrid posy bowl -- and I thought I was getting something special
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
Don't kick yourself - that's our job.

Actually, it looks OK to me and I would think of Kralik or Rindskopf ... in any case something from Northern Bohemia/ or southern Poland. You're probably taken aback by the fact the top rim is not finished, but that is usual for any posy vase finished with a wire cage.

You could have done a lot worse.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:45:17 AM »
Anik that's really pretty.  I love that effect of being able to feel the colours and I don't often see them with multi coloured spatters.  It's just a different kind of glass.  I collect these flower bowls (along with lots of other different kinds of glass) and as a group they look lovely together with all their different colours.  I'd hang onto it and see what else you find to go with it (well that is unless you really cannot stand the sight of it).
m

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »
Thank you Ivo and 'm'  :)

'K' is what first came to my mind when I clicked on 'buy'...  But having never seen, let alone handled, Kralik or Rindskopf, I imagined a piece of superb quality.  This bowl is far from my obviously over-romanticised expectations.  The unfinished rim does not bother me as I know it's supposed to have a grid.  It's the lightness of the piece, and the Play-Doh-like effect of the colours which I find highly disappointing.  The whole thing is devoid of the charm I had imagined from the seller's photos. 

I might well be criticised for being ignorant, but I still think it's just plain ugly.   :-[

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
Anik,not ugly,quite like these myself and have a pair the same shape,different colour ;D

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
Keith, as I can't tell from your photo, can the brown parts be felt (and seen) as separate from the orange?  And do you know which glassworks your pair come from (Rindskopf or Kralik)?  

Though your pair is 'nicer' than mine because they've got their cages (which I'll admit are pretty), I still fail to see why anyone would want to collect these.  :spls:   At least when it comes to my posy bowl, it looks rather naively and carelessly made.  It wasn't what I expected. 

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »
The brown is nice and smooth on these though it's not always the case with this glass,this one is very 'lumpy'(see pic') .I'm afraid there's been no id on them apart from Bohemian,
                         Keith ;D

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 04:06:24 PM »
Ah, Keith, the lumpiness on your vase is much like the plasticine effect on mine...   :-X

But I must say, I am pretty pleased with myself that I did recognise (or maybe 'suspect' is a better word) Bohemian.  :)   It's just too bad that I preferred it in the picture than in real life. 

Does anyone care to adopt a poor, unloved posy bowl?  I will gladly pass it on to more appreciative hands.  (Though I won't be at the National Glass Fair next week, I will be at the Cambridge Glass Fair in February.  My plane ticket is purchased and my accommodation is booked...  just 112 days to go.  I can take it with me if anyone would like to have it.)

Thank you Ivo, m and keith for all the help.  :kissy:

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »
Murano?  :ooh:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260682068867&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anik, Not sure what 25PLN  is but this made about the same in £s, looks similar had it on my watch list for some reason :-[

Chris

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »
Lumpiness is because the decoration is on the surface... not cased as in the second in the thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand