No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schneider glass terminology help please  (Read 973 times)

Offline quill

• Members
Schneider glass terminology help please
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
I was identifying a piece and found it in Marie-Christine Joulin's Charles Schneider book.  I had never before taken any particular notice of a term she uses: 'powdered glass'.  I thought maybe it was a sort of loose translation of 'pate de verre', which I thought was a paste made from powdered glass, but no, in the French language section of the same text she calls it 'verre poudre'.

So my question is, is 'verre poudre' an alternate name for 'pate de verre'?  Is one used to refer to Schneider and the other to...Galle, for example?

If you think this is (or ought to be) a terribly obvious question, be nice!  ;)

Thanks in advance!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Schneider glass terminology help please
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:26:06 AM »
Using coloured powder (sometimes called enamel) is the obvious way of adding coolour to a hotworked piece. A clear bubble of glass is gathered, it is rolled in coloured glass powder laid out on a marble plate (hence "marvering") and then the piece is blown out and finished. This also is the way the Schneiders worked.

The term "pâte de verre" is much abused in France. It is an expensive technique (in use at Daum - google images "daum pate de verre")  in which powdered glass is packed in a mould and fused in the oven. I am almost certain Schneider never used this technique. Dealers  :sc: will sometimes use the term erroneously for any type of pressed glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Hi,
 A fascinating video of powder glass use/application ............   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou33iBrQjf0

Regards,
               Patrick.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:07:39 PM »
Hi

Its worth noting there are two variants on the use of coloured powder  -I think both developed by Daum (or at least they were the first to successfully make it at that time)

There is the version as described by Ivo and then a later variant (c1912ish) where the powder is applied and then the whole thing is cased in another layer of glass  and only then blown.

Daum used to call them vitrified glass and later either Daum or Schneider coined the phrase Jade (most of these techniques Schneider learnt form Daum and made themselves after WW1)

So usually uncased is called vitrified and cased is called Jade.

Hopefully someone with a better technical knowledge correct me if I've got anything wrong

cheers

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline quill

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:45:39 AM »
Thanks very much, Ivo, Patrick and Mike.

I understood 'pate de verre' to be the technique as described by Ivo.  I know the Schneiders started at Daum, so I thought they would use the technique, and I also assumed all those Nancy boys copied from each other, like everybody else.

I'm grateful for all your enlightening posts. Patrick, I'm heading right over to You tube to watch that video.

Thanks, all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand