No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are these Loetz?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Are these Loetz?
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Picked these up way way back in the lovely summer, whatever happened to that! I thought they could be by Michael Polowny but the main colour confused that opinion. Can anyone confirm or deny before I list the small pedestal bowl. Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Re: Are these Loetz?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »
1 more photo.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »
And another. I've been having problems resizing my images on my imac and I may have, at least, partially solved it tonight.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:44:44 AM »
Hi
can you also post some pics of the bases please?  I'm sure they are very distinctive and may be easily recognisable (and I know I can't help id them  ::)  ) but pics of the base can help.
Many thanks
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:53:11 AM »
The bowl is an example of Loetz Ausführung 218. Ausf 218 is a solid ground with a connecting pad of contrasting color between two parts. Most commonly found with a rim of the same color as the pad. The candlesticks are also, in my opinion an example of Ausf 218, without the applied rim color, but with the contrasting connecting pad and solid ground.

They are not a Powolny design. Powolny designed far fewer pieces for Loetz than he is credited with on the internet, and these would not fall in the category of product he did design.  He was not involved in the design of Ausf 218.

The internet myth that he was responsible for Tango, and a large number of other decors for example, is just that..... an internet myth.....  

Nice set.....

Any marks of any kind inside the bases?

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »
Hi,
Thank you so much for the information :chky:. I know there was a debate some time ago regarding whether or not Powolny was responsible for the three handled pieces that he had always been associated with. I think the conclusion on that was that they were Loetz but not actually his design. I can't remember who they were attributed to though. With regard to the question by flying free, the base area is actually open on all pieces. On the bowl you can see through the pedestal to the base of the bowl and on the candlesticks the whole piece is hollow. There are no makers marks on any of the pieces. I should have added that to my original listing. I was having so much trouble resizing my pieces for the topic that I was quickly losing the will.  >:(  I actually have a pair of cobalt blue trailed orange Kralik vases that were displayed at my grandparents home in the 1940's and passed through the chain to me and I am now 66. They have a solid base.
Once again thanks for the info, I really am delighted. ;D
One other question, did you notice that the candlesticks are not even in size, one having a thicker rim than the other. Before I composed this topic I was considering taking them to a local glass restorer to have the rim on the taller piece resized. A wise move?

Bryn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »
One other question, did you notice that the candlesticks are not even in size, one having a thicker rim than the other. Before I composed this topic I was considering taking them to a local glass restorer to have the rim on the taller piece resized. A wise move?

No, they're old and handmade and that's the way things are.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
Than You Christine,  they shall remain as they are  ;).

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »
Christine's comment seconded, don't touch them, my poor insides were shrieking, "no, no, no!" before I got to read her post!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »
Hello,
It would appear that the "taking it to a glass restorer" question has been answered sufficiently.....

The three handled pieces in two colors are classified as Ausführung 162. There are three variations of the decor. Standard classification is in two colors, the handles being a different color than the ground. Second is this same basic decor with enameling done on the body. The third and less common variation on the decor is three handled Cameo pieces. Although the decor has been shown to not be by Powolny, it has never really been attributed to any specific designer. The shape is said to have been inspired by Marie Kirschner designs.

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand