No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chalet Glass... Not a great Photo... but a bunch of it  (Read 5830 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Chalet Glass... Not a great Photo... but a bunch of it
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »
I went to a show yesterday and came across this booth. I thought some of the members here..... eh.....  may enjoy seeing it.... Sorry the pics are not better, but they were taken with my phone.......

This glass had all been in boxes in a barn for about 25 years and was being offered for the first time....  all of it was still quite dirty from storage....  many of the pieces were acid marked underfoot, but the entire table appeared to be definitive chalet product collected over a long period and stored for around 25 years.....  It is the most Chalet glass I have ever seen in one place....

I have to admit I could not help myself......  I bought 6 pieces......  very reasonably priced and some pieces that were a little more unusual from what I had seen.....  some heavily tooled pieces, as opposed to the more generic forms I am used to coming across.....

When taken home and washed they were as striking as I assumed they would be.......

I am also attaching a pic of a table of Viking glass.... same story....  I did not buy any of it..... not my kind of glass, but again.... the most I have ever seen in one place.... and some cool pieces....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Chalet Glass... Not a great Photo... but a bunch of it
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »
wow - those are some collections - the Chalet must take up loads of room.
m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:10:56 AM »
Thanks for the photo Craig!!

@flying free......and Yes, for some chalet pieces you do need a lot of Room LOL   The ones with the large horizontal wingspan!!

Please show us your pieces when you can Craig.   I am not a fan of Viking Glass either (but that is just me) -- but I have some pieces here like my Viking Glass clear Fish which I really like!!

I hope anytime you see some Chalet pieces you are on the lookout for these type of pieces that Glow, See HERE...  :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

bfg

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »
awsome hoard - I suppose the equivalent to us finding a barn load of long forgotten Whitefriars (I wish) lol

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »
Some of the pieces in the shot of Viking Glass are by LE Smith.  All those opaque orange vases are by them.  They called the color "Bittersweet".

Viking actually sued Smith for copying designs from their Epic line for a line Smith called Simplicity.  Viking lost (though there's no question they were right) and it seriously hurt their business in the 1970s.
Robert

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
Robert, that's interesting information thank you  :)  funnily enough, whenever I see those tall vases with the angled petalled rim  I automatically think they are Chinese  :-\ - I must do some more glass investigating and look at Ebay US more often to see different shapes and designs and better educate myself.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand