No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Golden Rabbit on brown Glass.  (Read 3498 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Golden Rabbit on brown Glass.
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 04:14:29 AM »
I've done some searches for the rabbit, but no luck yet. I want to comment on the pose and technique. The pose is one used a good bit for Murano rabbits. The hands and nose remind me of some V. Nason rabbits, but Nason didn't use this technique that I've ever seen. The technique of applying gold to the surface is a favorite one. Companies or people that are most famous for the look include the Barovier companies, Martinuzzi, and Barbini. There are others, of course, but the technique gives the rabbit a higher status than your average run-of-the-mill cased rabbit. It's a keeper.

There is a couple of things that make the design different than many. The hind feet that stick out like balls and the long tail. The long tail reminds me of a couple of animals I have, but I won't mention company names because it would just be confusing without something more concrete.

Adding something -- most of the opaque solid-looking animals are not solid. Of course, one doesn't learn they have a cavity in the middle until the animal arrives broken in the mail. The ears will ping on any animal because they are thin and vibrate fairly easily.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
Thank you for all that information Anita, and for bringing us back on track!!

Looking at your Murano Zoo, I am now wondering if Gambaro & Poggi might be the maker,  I know you hinted at it earlier.  Your little dog has a lot of the 'chunky' attributes. I'm afraid Irather dismissed it to start with, because I have a G&P elephant that is SO different,  and a duck I sold because I didn't like it!

Just to confirm  this little bunny weighs a lot,  and has a solid clear glass core....it is defitaely not hollow.

Once we have found out who made it Anita,  you are welcome to add the pictures to your Murano Zoo if you would like to.
Would you like pictures of the elephant for your Zoo,  it has labels and is very different to most ellies in style & form?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 02:08:54 PM »
Yes, I would love to have pictures for the zoo.

Mario Gambaro did many things that had gold on the outside. Mario worked for Archimede Seguso when he was young. I believe he may have also worked with Seguso Vetri d'Arte. Everything in Murano seems to tie in together.  :)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
Pictures are on their way direct to you Anita....hope that is OK.

Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 07:07:06 PM »
I notice that there is a 'fish' presently on the Petrides Great Glass site (under new arrivals) with this brownish/gold/aventurine look.........and is being attributed to Ercole Barovier.   There is some similarity.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
Thanks for the Heads up Paul.  I see what you mean....very similar colouring,  I wonder what Anita thinks....ANITA!!!! Are you there??

Paul did you see the JIP vase (Loetz)?  As soon as I saw it, I thought of you and your little 'sermon' about what truly constitutes a JIP vase!!  You see I do listen...or read!

Oooops there you go.....gone in a flash :wsh:....you may yet get a new name you know!!
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
Just found this link

http://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/item/85088-a-murano-stylised-glass-dog-attractively-presented-in-aventurine/

this has a similar chunkiness to the rabbit,  and is attributed to Seguso......hmmmmm, did I mention I thought it might be a Seguso piece earlier in the thread?
Rosie.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 12:00:05 PM »
Ah, that's Carter's, an Australian price guide. The attributions seem to be largely guesswork, certainly if the Australian glass section is any example.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 09:34:48 AM »
I'm nudging this lovely chappie again because I have just seen this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160536666773&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

If you took his carrott away, it looks very like my rabbit in form,  so I wonder if it is Gambaro Poggi after all???  Anita-----are you there today?  What do you think?

Posted by: TxSilver on: December 07, 2010,   

It has all the signs of being from Murano, but I don't know which company. I looked through my files quickly, but couldn't find this exact form. The heavy gold foil on dark glass is very nice. It looks a bit like something Gambaro might have made, but the back feet have me puzzled.
Rosie.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 01:58:18 PM »
It's hard to say. The feet, tail, and ears of yours are different in shape, but yours could be G&P still. This is a standard rabbit form, so it can be difficult to say which company. The thing most nice about yours is it's gold is on the outside of dark glass. It may be easiest to write G&P to ask them. They may recognize something in it that we are unaware of.

Just noticed the rabbit on eBay is cased. The rabbit is painful to look at, the seller cropped so close and had such a steep angle on the rabbit.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand