No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just acquired this very nice Hand blown duck or loon and need help with ID..  (Read 861 times)

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
  Can anyone identify the following images of a larger Art Glass duck/loon with a bright, blue, black spotted egg? in the middle.  I have tried to find the country of origin and who signed it, to no avail!
The piece is 9" long 3 3/4" high, and 3 1/2" wide.  I am hoping somebody here may have seen the signature before.  I am running out of clues, with my research on this one?  I figured you might want to see it, if anything?
I think it is pretty nice.  I appreciate your help!
westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi there
i dont recognise the actual shape but the signiture looks like it might be Mtarfa ?
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Hi, I am on the case here as glass birds are my thing....I really don't think it is Mtarfa....it looks a very Scandinavian shape, and the signture looks too angular for Mtarfa......
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
More pictograph than signature.

John

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Maybe a *crane* bird swimming, but can't see the long legs ???   :huh:  ??
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline westred

• Members
 :usd: Thanks for the great replies!  I thought it was Scandinavian, as well, so maybe we are on to something?  I will take larger and (hopefully) better pictures of the signature and post them!
I really appreciate the feedback! 

Offline westred

• Members
Just an FYI to those helping me ID this........I thought the max. size for a photo was 150KB, not 125KB.   :clap: :spls:  So I am going back to resize these and will post shortly............

Offline westred

• Members
 Let's see if I can get this right, now?....

Here are some photos I just shot of the Art Glass bird (aka....duck, swan, crane, loon, needle-beaked egg swallow(er)?) that I had asked to receive help IDing.  I hope these serve as a better indication of just what I have!
If you have any more questions, requests, etc...., do not hesitate to ask me.  I am learning more day by day!  I never knew how addictive this blown-glass collecting could be.  It is becoming my favorite, fanatical vice!  Well, everything but the Kansas City Chiefs football!  I have been a fanatic of theirs practically since birth, so they don't count!

One more note for rosieposie!  Since you indicated that your thing was glass birds,  I have one more cool piece of glass that I have questioned the ID on, since getting it.  I got this piece for a song and didn't even know it had a signature until I got home with it.....  After further inspection, after going home, I noticed it DID have a signature, just not in the usual place.  Instead of the bottom, I found the signature on the side!?  Between the body and the tail.  I will post photos and info about that one, as soon as I get done importing photos for this piece in question.  It's signature is more readable and not and hurried.

Below are the new pictures of (possible Scand.) piece:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Hurry and post the other one Westie.....I love working on these,  and I have had so much help myself from GMB members,  it really is payback time. 
Did you see my Glass Angel posting??  Look at the story behind that!! Rose was my ace detective there!!

Of course glass is addictive!! How could you doubt it??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand