No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Intaglio cut tumbler with a Marigold?  (Read 802 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Intaglio cut tumbler with a Marigold?
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »
Pretty little intaglio cut tumbler, just 4 inches (10cm) tall.  Swags of flowers and leaves, and a shield on the front with a flower in it which looks as if it might be a Marigold - a friend suggested it might represent someone's name. 

It doesn't 'feel' as if it's very old.  It isn't very thin glass, being quite a bit heavier than most of my Victorian and Edwardian pieces.  The engraving looks a bit like some I've seen on Webb pieces, but there's no mark.  The base is concave, as if a pontil mark had been ground out before the base was cut, but the striations in the glass around the outside of the base look as if the blank was probably mould-blown.   At some time in its life someone has had a small chip removed from the rim, so it was obviously considered worth repairing.

Anyone recognise the pattern or the style?  Suggestions as to age, maker, cutter, would be appreciated.  Thanks  :)
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Intaglio cut tumbler with a Marigold?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »
a shield on the front with a flower in it which looks as if it might be a Marigold - a friend suggested it might represent someone's name.
Looking again, of course the flower could equally well be a Daisy .... and the same suggestion would apply!  ;D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
Oh, come one, somebody must have something to say, surely! :-\ 

(And don't call me Shirley ;))
Leni

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »
I can't add any info Leni, lovely as it is it's not the kind of thing I collect.

It looks like good quality, what about the way the base is cut? That looks fairly distinctive (to me).

John

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:02:43 AM »
Thank you, John.  I was beginning to think I'd been sent to Coventry!   :24:

The base is unusual, as it's really quite concave, and the cutting is clearly done to cover a ground out pontil mark.  I can't help feeling it's a bit ... erm ... basic? :-\  Although the cutting on the rest of the glass is very nicely done, I can't work out if this is 'old' or a more recent production  :huh:
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »
I'm wondering, politely, if Peter - oldglassman - might be able to venture a comment with regard to it's age - I can't help thinking it might be older than it looks - something to do with the incongruity between a certain "crudeness" about the glass itself and the sophistication of the cutting - and of course the repair.
Strange again that there's the repair - but no addition of a monogram or shield or some such "doofer" in the cartouche.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »
hmm - nice piece - it doesn´t look very old to me - it seems to be rather thick glass - my guess would be american.. not quite sure ! :spls:
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

Offline tate9852

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 06:15:34 PM »
Hi there, I was trying to ID the glass as well. The cutting is very similar to a glass German stein I had a while ago. I thought they were sunflowers, but could be wrong. Test the glass under a blacklight, if it turns green it is a good indicator that it is American. It would not be a minty green, but an apple green. If it just turns bluish it is most likely 20th Century. I have also found that 18th & 19th C. English-Irish glass turns lighter green, such as minty green. Blacklight testing is not 100% by any means, but it is a good test if your stumped. I have also found that German glass has a yellow tint when exposed to natural sunlight on a bright day. It is also typical of German glass to have a thick heavy base to compensate for the lightness of the composition of the glass itself. I checked in a few of my books about it being American, but found no match. Although, I just scratched the surface really. The cutting looks like it could be American, but the base is not as typical. Usually American glasses have a star cut base, yours has a sort of flower cut base. So, all that being said, I might be totally wrong, but thought it might help.

PS~I was able to find a similar cutting on Sinclaire Glass pieces and Tuthill pieces, just not with that shield motif.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
Thank you, friends  :) 

I will try the black-light test - I admit it hadn't occurred to me to try!  :spls:  I agree the cutting doesn't look 100% 'English' although I can't put my finger on why, exactly.  I think perhaps that shield shape is one thing, and the curly leaves are another.  Does anyone else think they look a bit 'Bohemian'?  :-\   I'll also have a look at some American cutting - thanks for the tip  ;) 
Leni

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
bohemina would have been my second guess .. maybe an bohemian engraver who went to America  :ru:
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand