No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rainbow MOP Pitcher by Vetro Artistico Veneziano  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Rainbow MOP Pitcher by Vetro Artistico Veneziano
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:20:24 AM »
Well for once I don't have to have this one IDed since it has a label, just thought I'd share it. 8" high with a 5" diameter I thought it was striking & pretty well done. Ken

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Rainbow MOP Pitcher by Vetro Artistico Veneziano
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Beautiful jug Ken,is that 'air trap'? difficult to tell,not seen 'candy stripe' colour pattern on mop satin before :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:24:35 PM »
Yes Keith I believe you could classify this as air trap. Over here the terms air trap & MOP are (right or wrong) pretty much used interchangeably.  Ken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 05:35:24 PM »
So that would make it an.....Italian,mother-of-pearl,satin air trap,candy stripe herringbone pattern jug,phew ;D :fc:

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:56:30 PM »
Italian,mother-of-pearl,satin air trap,candy stripe herringbone pattern jug

But what would the Italians have called it?
KevinH

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:04:45 AM »
The next time someone argues with me that these are Victorian-era American made, I'll refer them to your lable.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:48:22 AM »
"The next time someone argues with me that these are Victorian-era American made, I'll refer them to your lable."

Yeah & 99% of those who think air trap/MOP in the U.S. malls is Mt. Washington are either (1) clueless or (2) dealers selling to those who are clueless. The only U.S. firm that made air trap/MOP in quantity was Phoenix Art Glass of Phillipsburg, PA  during their roughly 15 year venture into art glass, Mt. Washington did very little & frankly 90% of what we (meaning you & I in the states) see is Murano & this stuff was imported by the cubic ton into the U.S. from the late 50's into the early 70's when it was hot. Rainbow though isn't easy to find as it seems Murano production was limited compared with blue & red/pink AT/MOP imported. Yellow & Lavender are two other Murano colors in AT/MOP that are a bit uncommon, but still the total U.S. production of this type of glass equates to a pimple on an elephant's hindquarters compared with Murano production. Ken

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:13:01 AM »
" air trap & MOP "

would you care to elaborate to the uninformed (me) please,   :chky:

martin

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
MOP being mother of pearl,a term used more in the States,I believe,air trap(not a techie) but tiny pockets of air expand in an arranged form to create patterns like diamond,see pic' or herringbone,that's the basic if you want more detail there are plenty of glass techies here who would oblige I'm sure ;D :sn:

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »
MOP is opaque glass blown in a patterned mold that traps air bubbles in the molded spaces, cased at times. Patent obtained in 1857 to Benjamin Richardson of England although numerous patents were granted afterwards in Europe & the U.S. for different versions of MOP. Air trap (AKA Air Lock) is a technique in which small pockets of trapped air are the chief decorative motif & once again Benjamin Richardson had the original patent in 1858. I don't have any idea why two patents were issued involving what appears to be a similar technique a year apart, but I'm sure somebody knows. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand