No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: some pics of small animals  (Read 663 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
some pics of small animals
« on: December 26, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
Hope there is not too much objection that this is a little less than serious -  couple of pics. of animals (can you call a fish an animal?) - just for looking at really.   The fish is signed Phoenician/Malta, and the swan is unsigned, but quite likely generic Murano I think.   All together...........aahhhhhhhhhhhh.           Anyone know what date the fish might be? - and sorry about the tear  -  looks as though the San Andreas fault runs underneath the swan :sn: :ru:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: some pics of small animals
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
Paul, your swan looks a little bit like my Mazzega Murano duck!
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
sorry, really can't agree..........although I suppose you might say that they do share the colour white - otherwise they are chalk and cheese.   However, I will admit that yours looks better than mine :)        I don't know if you have looked on the 'loschs data' site - this is the guide (with names) to 'techniques' for Italian glass - very interesting if you haven't.    I don't do Italian/Murano glass  -  although beautiful, it falls outside of my general period of interest - and I need to draw the line somewhere.    Having looked at this guide, it appears that your piece is an example of filigrana or mezza filigrana, possibly  -  whereas I'm quite unsure of what my style is, but it might be canne filigrana or just canne.
In truth I wasn't really that bothered about the swan - it was more the Maltese fish that interested me.........I DO do Maltese, although for some odd reason I see very little Phoencian (or at least material that is marked as such)  -  whether this suggests that Phoenician is scarce, I really am not sure.
Thanks for taking the time to reply :hi:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:57:32 AM »
A fiar bit of Phoenician glass turns up under searches for Mdina on the well-known auction site.
I think there doesn't seem to be a lot around because it's not raising decent prices yet. It's one of the things to be looking out for just now, I'm positive prices will rise - a lot of it is absolutely fantastic.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand