No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help me identify this flatware please  (Read 927 times)

Offline BeatriceEllinorGerty

• Members
Help me identify this flatware please
« on: December 26, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
Hi, my mother would like to sell a flatware service made of glass that she's not using. Originally she thought it was Iittala, but we could not find any Iittala that matched it, when we checked the marks and boxes of other things bought at the same time that she also thought was iittala it turned out they were Pukeberg. Attempts to find anything matching in pukeberg proved equally unsuccessful. The facts we know are they were bought in the seventies and are solid glass, a bit too heavy to be practical. there are 12 plates 25 cm in diameter, 12 deep plates 22 cm in diameter, 12 small plates 19 cm in diameter. There are also bowls and a vase that mom thinks belongs to the set, because the design is similar, they do match very well. 2 bowls 26 cm in diameter, 2 bowls 19 cm in diameter, 2 bowls 15 cm in diameter that we know is pukeberg since they have the designers name on the bottom (Uno westerberg). the vase is 15 cm high and 16 cm in diameter. All the diameters is approximations since nothing is actually perfectly round and they are not all the same since they are handmade. Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Beatrice

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Help me identify this flatware please
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
congratulations you managed to present us with a splendid attribution.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
As you know what it is, you should be able to sell it on ebay or some similar internet auction site. We don't deal with valuations here, or do selling here, beyond the forum "The Marketplace", where links to sales can be put, or things offered for sale directly.

Good pictures always help a sale no end.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:00:03 PM »
no we DON'T know what it is. We have unconfirmed guesses and frustration since we know what it would be worth if it were any of those but can't tell what it is. Also I've heard that there were a lot of copies produced during the seventies which makes it even harder :huh:

Beatrice

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:11:42 PM »
Beatrice, your rather confusing first post above states that some pieces are marked Uno Westerberg so you know they are Pukeberg but then your later post states you don't know what things are, so it's not surprising that we're a little confused too.

It would be helpful if you explained which specific pieces you are talking about, as if this is "a set" of which some are marked Uno Westerberg, they must de facto all be Pukeberg.

If these are separate pieces of similar styles and designs, of which some are marked Uno Westerberg, then it would be useful to know which those are, as those would be the ones you'd need help with.

When it comes to values, few members on the board will hazard an opinion, as values are dependant on the place of sale, the amount of interest in the pieces, and sometimes even what the weather's like!  ;D

We will help as much as we can with identification but we do need clear exact information about each piece from you to be able to do so, and that's what seems to be missing from the original post. Do come back and add more and we'll see what we can do.  :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »
OK I see the problem. Well we know the plates are a set of three sizes, the rest were bought at approximately the same time and look slightly similar, making my mother assume they are all part of a set. The two smallest bowls are pukeberg but since they are clearly marked and the rest isn't, I believe they are not in fact part of a set and feel a bit suspicious that the unmarked pieces are cheap copies. High quality and nice but not the brand name product they look like.

Thanks for helping me clarify that, I am not the best at communication at times.

Beatrice

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:20:38 PM »
In which country were the plates and bowls bought?

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 12:07:09 AM »
In Sweden.

Beatrice

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:14:47 AM »
OK, let's see what we can do...  
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380195332065 is a large marked Pukeberg bowl, 26cm diameter x 10cm high, which seems to match your largest bowl.
Same seller has a labelled vase which seems to match yours too - in looks and size (they also have a smaller vase):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380257089318

I have a photo of a labelled Pukeberg deep plate which looks very similar to yours (but which I can't post here for copyright reasons.) Personally I'd be happy to accept them all as Pukeberg, but I understand your wanting to be certain.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 02:18:26 AM »
excellent thank you. I was using google and I found nothing at all. This was very helpful.  :thup:

Beatrice

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand