Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

is this a Czech pressed vase?

(1/3) > >>

Paul S.:
Not an uncommon shape which occurs occasionally thru earlier parts of the C20 - a sort of stunted version of the 'wheatsheaf' shape - perhaps a stylized 'basket' pattern sort of thingy.    I bought this lunchtime because I convinced myself it was pressed Czechoslovakian from somewhere in the 1960 - 1980 period  -  but having now looked thru the CD and the book, have a feeling I was wrong.   I still think the base is very Skl Union, and the colour looks nearly right (in fact in the flesh it is a little more 'greeny/blue').
At the widest it is 8.5"/215mm and the height is something like 5.5"/140mm.   Have I missed seeing it - might it be the Polish LSA production?  Sorry the pics. have a bit too much glare.     All thoughts very welcome, and thanks for looking. :)

Anne:
I think I'd be looking closer to home Paul - perhaps Sowerby or Davidson. Davidson who certainly did this colour and Sowerby did that ridged pattern... but I could be wrong so don't take it as gospel! :pb:

Edited to correct my erroneous info re Davidson!

Lustrousstone:

--- Quote ---might it be the Polish LSA
--- End quote ---

LSA International is a UK-based design company that outsources its production worldwide, including probably to Krosno in Poland
http://www.lsa-international.com/

Krosno makes hand-blown glass in a factory, not pressed glass
http://www.krosno.com.pl/en/

I don't know where your vase was made but I would say 1960/70s is about right. The base is a fairly standard pressed base and not indicative of anywhere in particular.

Paul S.:
my thanks to both of you, and I will look again this evening when I'm at home.     Will try the Soweby CD's and have a look at the Davidson images - for starters. :)

Anne:
Paul, this is an example of the Sowerby glass I'm meaning:
(two examples in fact - both Sowerby) and the bases which look very like yours: I've seen this pattern in a whole range of colours, including I'm pretty sure, one the colour of yours.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version