No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Czech pressed vase?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: is this a Czech pressed vase?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:48 AM »
Yup, that's the one that cracked M!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:29:05 AM »
I would count the points on Paul's vase and the Sowerby trough; Paul's vase has probably been "swung", which might account for the rounded blobby ends. We need Adam D I think.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »
That's what I did with the pink and the clear one Christine, as the shape of the pink one wasn't familiar either, and also has the softer ends. I matched the bases and the sizes to figure out they came from the same shape/size mould before the shaping was applied to the pink one to fit it to the chrome holder it lives in. I'll drop Adam a line and see if he can pop in and take a looksee for us. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
Thanks to Anne who gave me a nudge to have a look at this one.  I think it might just be Sowerbys 2634 celery vase, heavily re-shaped of course.  The snag is that when I knew it that vase, alone in the 2634 range, had a flat top.  It's possible (and has just occurred to me this minute) that this was a change made before my time to make it look more like a tax-free celery vase than one for flowers.  Whether or not a previous fluted top ring existed it would have been no big job to have created one.  I wonder if anyone has ever seen one fluted?  I'm sorry but I never dreamt that, 60 years on, the number of flutes might be critical or I would have made notes!!

I wouldn't worry about the precise colour in this or in many other cases.  See my posting in the thread:-
 http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34721.0.html

It was not difficult, albeit with some loss of production, to change the colour in a pot to make a few hundred articles.  Davidsons tended to do this more often than Sowerbys for economic rather than technical reasons although the evidence suggests that towards the end Sowerbys were at it also.

Adam D.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Many thanks Adam for taking the time to reply - much appreciated, and your note is very interesting as usual.     Not sure whether this colour might be called 'teal' - it certainly has a leaning towards a greenish aspect in the blue, and looking at one of my books the implication seems to be that colourants such as Chromium, Copper or Cobalt might be involved in producing this particular hue.    However, date wise then, we will describe it as post 1950.    thanks also to all other contributors. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand